Chapter Four

----Eyre's PoV----

I awoke with a start. Shooting upright, I remembered I was leaning on Ash's warm scales. It was freezing without them.

Good morning, little one.

I'm not that little.

You are to me. Get up and change into your riding leathers. Today's our first flight.

Right. I'd seen Amias mount his dragon. It's easiest if the dragon is already flying, so you just jump off a cliff and land on them.

Don't worry, I won't drop you.

I hadn't been able to get Suni's disappearance off my mind. These people were supposed to know everything. So why don't they know that I have another sister?

Perhaps it's just a mistake.

Perhaps there's something wrong, I countered. I slipped into the riding leathers and walked with Ash to the edge of the cliffs where Amias was waiting with Shadow. He was going to be my mentor, which is good because I didn't really want to meet any new people.

And here I thought I was antisocial.

Yeah, yeah. Thanks.

Any time.

"You ready to fly?"

"I can't even see the cliff," I said, "Or the dragon I'm supposed to jump onto."

Don't worry. I won't drop you. You don't trust easy.

"You'll be fine. Just follow me," Amias said. His voice then dropped as he jumped onto Shadow mid-flight, and hovered above me.

I remembered something Suni had said to me. I was learning to ride a bike, and she saw me fall over. I skinned my knee and didn't want to try again because I was scared.

She had said, "Repeat after me. My name is Eyre Sari, and I will not be afraid." I did, and felt a surge of confidence. I missed Suni.

I quietly thought to myself, My name is Eyre Sari. I will not be afraid.

I jumped. I caught myself on Ash's saddle awkwardly and nearly fell over with the force of the wind.

For goodness sake, child, strap yourself into the saddle. That's what the safety harness is for, unless you enjoy plunging to your death.

I clipped into the saddle and felt Ash fly towards Shadow and Amias.

Ash shared my vision for a moment, and allowed me to see the misty mountains, and the forests below the clouds.

"That's why we call it Elysium," Amias said, "Ember Hawkfang's School for the Magically Enhanced and Dragon Riding is kind of a mouthful."

I felt the wind in my face and breathed properly for the first time in my life.

"We're going to practice some maneuvers," Amias said, "Get you used to G force before you try anything crazy."

Don't worry, I can see where I'm going. You'll be fine.

Thank you.

Always.

We did some basic climbs and turns, then steep dives and pulling up. I felt like I was flying one second, and pinned to Ash's back the next.

That's normal.

Is getting lightheaded normal?

Take a deep breath, squeeze all your muscles, and hold it. Breath out, take another breath, and try again.