Chapter 23: You Have Me

Chapter 23

"It could all be so simple / But you'd rather make it hard" Lauryn Hill - Ex-Factor

[June]

I tugged on the black cotton dress that fit snug around my midsection, hoping it wasn't too tight. I checked my hair in the rearview mirror. My natural curls spread wild and free. I knew he liked it that way. His likes were no longer my concern but a piece of me would always want to be appealing in his emerald eyes.

Shutting my eyes, I let my head drop against the headrest. A nagging ache haunted my back as my belly tightened again. It had been doing that since last night. I took a short walk around my tiny apartment, hoping to soothe my baby- of course it didn't work.

I can't wait for these nine months to be over.

"Please relax," I spoke while rubbing my protruding belly. "At least be calm during this meeting."

After one final deep breath, I exited my car. My steps were cautious and stiff due to the amount of pain localized around the middle of my body.

The trip from the parking lot to the building wasn't far but being pregnant increased the time it took to do everything. Upon entering, I traveled to the reception desk and was greeted with a bright smile from an elderly lady. I gave her my name and she kindly led me to the correct conference room.

He was already seated on the other side of the table when I walked in.

"Good morning Mrs. Dawson, I'm glad you could make it," Mr. Berman welcomed. He had salt and pepper trimmed hair and wore a tailored gray suit. He stood up, coming around the table to shake my hand then pulled out a chair for me. "It's a pleasure to finally meet you."

This mediation was supposed to take place months ago but I'd rescheduled a few times for various unimportant reasons.

"Thank you and likewise." I sat in the chair, resting my hands in my lap.

"Mr. Dawson and I were going over the accumulated assets before you arrived." He extended a list to me. I gave the top sheet a quick glance, not surprised by any information.

I barely listened as Mr. Berman droned on and on about the legality behind this divorce. Mediation was supposed to make this process quick and painless but the pain had already settled.

My gaze drifted across the table to Rick. I hated how he always looked so deliciously handsome. Dressed in a black suit, his hair was cut low and he'd grown back a thin moustache and goatee like when we'd first met.

While I was busy getting lost in his appearance, I didn't notice his eyes were on me. Blushing, I quickly diverted my stare. I could still feel his orbs penetrating me. He didn't look away. He sat confidently in the leather backed chair exuding determination and strength while I crumbled inside.

"Mr. Dawson is willing to sign the title of the car over to you," Mr. Berman informed. I nodded with a false smile. I often forgot how little I actually owned. "He's also prepared to spilt the sale from the Hartford house."

"Hartford house?" I asked. "Is there more than one?"

"Well," he looked uneasily at Rick.

Leaning forward, I flipped through the papers in front of me. There were three more properties in Florida, Maine and New York.

The hell?

"Rick you own more houses?"

He picked invisible lint off his suit. "Investments."

I scanned the small description of each property. "You purchased the last one a year ago. You don't tell your wife about investments?" Closing the packet, I turned my attention to Mr. Berman. "I don't want half the sale from the Hartford house. I don't want anything except a divorce."