Chapter 21: Ring Off

Chapter 21

"Just cause I love you and you love me / It doesn't mean that we'll ever be." Jazmine Sullivan - Lions, Tigers  & Bears

[March]

Swollen feet.

Swollen boobs.

Backaches.

Fatigue.

Insatiable hunger.

            I was still waiting on the moment of overwhelming happiness from impending motherhood. I didn't feel like I was carrying the miracle of life. I felt like I had  an energy-sucking parasite implanted in my uterus.

            If it weren't for all the horrible symptoms I would forget I was pregnant. So far, I'd felt one kick in the five month of hell. A single kick two weeks ago when I tripped over a pile of my clothes. I was lying on the floor when a slight flutter brushed in my stomach. That was it. It might have even been gas.

         I had a small-hardened curve in my midsection not really a "baby bump." What my mom referred to as 'a little something.'

         Under my desk, I slipped off my black patent high heels. Next to go were my gray wool stockings then bra. I didn't want anything constricting me. Besides, I only had one client today and they left an hour ago.

            Taking skittles out my candy draw, I threw a handful in my mouth. I rested my head on top of the monthly reports and exhaled. I'd been fighting my eyelids to stay open but I badly needed a nap before I could do any more work.

            A few minutes wouldn't hurt.

*            *            *

             I jerked awake when I heard someone giggling. Sitting upright, I saw Chelsea in the chair in front of my desk with her hand over her mouth and shoulders bouncing in laughter.

"How long have you been there?" I asked, stretching my arms high over my head. I shielded my eyes from the brightness.

"Long enough to hear you snoring."

            I was too exhausted to feel embarrassed. I got out a pack of Twizzlers for myself, since this parasite doesn't like sour candies, and gave Chelsea a bag of peanut M&Ms.

Chelsea opened her candy slowly, sighing. "I need to ta­-"

"Wait. Hold that thought." I jumped up from my chair to shimmy to the bathroom quickly. I managed to run down the hallway while keeping my thighs pressed tightly together.

"Listen you little trouble maker," I spoke to my unborn while squatting over the toilet. "You're going to have be gentler with me. Leave my bladder alone."

            A strong wave of nausea hit causing me to dry heave.

            I guess it doesn't like to be told what to do. "You're too much like me already."

        It wasn't until I was in the hallway walking back to my office that I remembered the majority of my clothes were off. All I had on was a tight long sleeve, mid thigh length striped dress. Ew.

"Sorry about that," I apologized, sitting down behind my desk. Chelsea nodded quietly, playing with the candies in her hand. "You said you needed to talk. What's up?"

Rapid silent tears slid down her cheeks. She wiped them with the tissues from the box on top my desk. I waited patiently for her to relax. My feet were hurting way too bad for me to get up again.