Chapter 25 Part 2: Foolish

Chapter 25 Part 2

"He's trippin / She's trippin / And we both be trippin and / That's the way love works out sometimes" Toni Braxton - Trippin'

-1 week later-

Mama went back home for a few days to spend time with my father. It was hard being alone but Rick visited daily. He came everyday after work. He'd usually arrive around 7pm then leave at 5am.

I came clean to him about the Joe situation. He thought Joe was under the impression that he was the father. Rick was adamant about not wanting Rocky around him. I calmed his worries by telling him that we weren't even on speaking terms. I lied and said that the only reason why he was at my apartment was because he was dropping off more of my stuff. I knew he didn't believe me but he didn't press this issue.

So far, one week of co-parenting was tolerable. Other than the Joe conversation we didn't speak about things that didn't involve our daughter. In fact, we didn't speak. I made sure to pump before he arrived so I could sleep and he could have bonding time with Rocky.

I pulled into the parking lot of Walmart just as Rocky let out a loud cry. I knew by the extra tenderness in my breast, that it was time to feed her. Shutting off the car, I went into the back seat and situated my clothes.

"It's okay," I cooed, carefully unbuckling her from the car seat. After I positioned her, she latched on quickly. My baby loved to eat.

Relaxing in the seat, I mentally reviewed the long list of things I needed to accomplish before I returned to work in two weeks. Laundry was the biggest task. No- finding childcare would be the biggest task.

I didn't trust too many people with my baby but at the same time, I didn't have enough money to be too selective.

"You might have to come to work with me." Rocky raised her hand, covering the side of her face. Her movements at this age weren't intentional but I still felt like she was shutting me out. "I hope you grow out of that." She closed her eyes while sucking. 

We spent ten more peaceful minutes before going into the store. I carried Rocky in my arms since I didn't have a stroller. We were only there to pick up one quick thing.

Heading to the bakery section, I scanned the collection of birthday cakes. I wanted something simple but not plain. Preferably, involving the color blue somewhere. Spotting a small marble cake with butter cream frosting, I asked the baker to write 'happy birthday daddy' on it.

"Elle!" I turned around searching for the voice that had said my name.

JJ came running toward me giggling and hugged my waist. He'd gotten so much taller since the last time I'd seen him. Using one arm, I gently hugged him back.

"JJ what did I tell you about running away from me," Maxine fussed, walking up to us. She hesitated for a moment when she saw me.

"Ma," he whined. "I see Elle!"

Catching his hand, she pulled him away from me. "Hey," she greeted with an uncomfortable smile. I could really see the resemblance between JJ and Maxine when they stood next to each other. It looked like he got all her genes. They shared the same hazel eyes, dark curly hair and light skin.

"Hi," I smiled back.

"I missed you so much." JJ beamed.

"Aw I miss you too."

"Will you come back over Daddy's house to play again?" His hazel eyes lit up in hope. My mouth opened then closed.

"Ms. Elle is really busy right now," Maxine helped. I sent her a thank you with my eyes.