Battle for Attention : Murdock

"(Y/N), talk to me, please, I beg you."

Gardening, watching cartoons, you had done everything with Murdock to help his anxiety. And yet, it had never been enough.

He had been assumed sane and then insane again, and through the thick and thin of it all, you were there. When it came time that you finally worked up the courage to tell him how you felt, it seemed that it still was, and never would be the right time to say it.

So when the right moment did arrive, he was leaving. And you felt so many emotions at once, trying to process them, unable to decipher what any of them meant.

You'd been ignoring him while helping the team save the Mission De La Paz. It was valid, you did have so many things that were going on and you were responsible for, but the pang of guilt never left; especially when he was begging you to talk to him.

You continuously reflected on his absorption into "Pathfinder", his most recent character. He had discussed your relationship with him a little bit before the team began helping them, and things were going pretty well.

Next thing you knew, over a night he had transformed into Pathfinder, completely ignoring any sort of information you asked about with the relationship.

After a few narrow escapes and moving all the people into the mission, it came time that you found yourself in the middle of the typical A-Team stand down with the military. Not that you couldn't handle it, it was just a little more color vision with Murdock's pleading with you as everything was about to go down.

"(Y/N), I have to go, I need to talk to you."

"I understand, of course. You want to leave. Then... goodbye."

"(Y/N), listen to me! I have things to do, and I will return. Don't you understand?"

"Yes, Murdock." You ran back and forth through the building, trying to get everything ready.

"Wait, (Y/N)! (Y/N)! (Y/N), there's a question I want to discuss with you."

"Yes?" You didn't stop, refusing to look into his eyes and give in for the millionth time.

"It's a political question."

You mumbled nonsense, continuing to run with him at your heels.

"The question of marriage."

You stopped to look at him. "Is this a political question?"

"Yes, well, everything's political. Like everything else, the relationship between a man and a woman is based on a socioeconomic base. Marriage must be founded on mutual beliefs. A common attitude and philosophy towards society."*

"And affection?" You asked.

"Well yes, of course, that is also necessary. Such a relationship can have positive social values. When two people face the world with unity and solidarity..."

"And affection?"

"Yes, that is an important element!"

You stepped back a little, shocked at how passionate he was about the subject of marriage being a political ideology.

Murdock took a step toward you. "At any rate, I... I personally am in favor of such a socioeconomic relationship."

"I think... you are asking me to marry you."

All at once, Murdock's puppy dog state came in, and he rambled on about how amazing you are.

"(Y/N), you've always been there for me, and you are just... you're my BooBear, and I love you."

You laughed, and Murdock quickly took the moment to take you into his arms and kiss you.

The gunshots continued and he smiled when he pulled away, running off to do something, and you ran in the opposite direction to do something else.

—————————————

"Hey Murdock, what're you reading?"

"Abnormal psychology, BooBear. It's about how my brain isn't made of the grey stuff, but out of orange juice and crayons."

You laughed, and he took your hand.

"Wanna read it with me?"

"Sure, we've got nothing to do for a few hours until BA gets the van back." You giggled.

Murdock, as Pathfinder, had traded the van for a horse, and BA was livid and currently trying to trade it back.

He pulled you into his lap, and read what wasn't on the pages, but 'read' how he felt about you, which made you laugh and blush and wonder how in the world you got this far with just a little planting and coloring and with the help of Woody Woodpecker.

—————

*anyone get the Fiddler on the Roof reference?

————————————