the idiot's lantern 7.2

The Tardis team went to Tommy's house again. They rang the doorbell. Tommy's father, Eddie, answered the door. When the door opened, the four of them smiled at Eddie and chimed, "Hi!"

"Who are you, then?" Eddie questioned.

"Let's see, then" The Doctor began. His eyes scanned over Eddie. "Judging by the look of you, family man, nice house, decent wage, fought in the war, therefore we represent Queen and country" Both he and Nova held up their psychic paper.

Nova continued on from The Doctor. "Just doing a little check of Her forthcoming Majesty's subjects before the great day. Don't mind if we come in? Nah, I didn't think you did. Thank you" The four of them made their way inside the house. They all stepped foot into the living room. "Oh, isn't this a cozy looking room"

The Doctor nodded. "Yes, very well kept" He and Nova made their way over to the woman in the room. "We'd like to congratulate you, Mrs?"

"Connolly" she answered.

"Now then, Rita. I can handle this" Eddie spoke. He stood on the other side of the room, with his hands behind his back. "This gentleman's a proper representative. Don't mind the wife, she rattles on a bit"

"Well, maybe she should rattle on a bit more" The Doctor suggested. Rose and Tate both took a seat on the chair. "I'm not convinced you're doing your patriotic duty. Nice flags. Why are they not flying?"

"There we are Rita, I told you, Get them up. Queen and country"

"I'm sorry" Rita apologized.

"Get it done. Do it now"

"Hold on a minute" Nova requested, holding up a finger.

Eddie completely ignored her as he continued to order his wife. "Like the gentlemen says"

"Hold on a minute!" Nova spoke more harshly but she didn't yell. She took a few steps closer to Eddie, crossing her arms over her chest. "You've got hands, Mister Connolly. Two big hands. So why is that your wife's job?"

Eddie scoffed at Nova. "I will not be answering to you, Miss. I will only be answering to the gentleman"

The Doctor stepped in. "You will be answering to her when she asks you a question" He defended. "My wife is my equal" Nova smiled when she heard him refer to her as his wife. "The both of us have the same job. One could even say she does her job a little better than mine. You will show her the same respect you show me. Understood?"

Eddie nodded, even though he didn't look to pleased about the situation. "Very well" He looked to Nova. "You were saying, Miss?"

"Thank you" Nova thanked with a smile, though it was more directed at The Doctor than it was to Eddie. "As I was saying, why is it your wife's job putting up the flags?"

"Well, it's housework innit?"

"And that's a woman's job?"

"Of course it is!"

Nova rolled her eyes. "Mr. Connolly, what gender is the Queen?" 

"She's a female"

"And are you suggesting the Queen does the housework?"

Everybody looked at Eddie. There was a pause before he answered. "No!"

The Doctor walked over with a line of flags in his hands. "Then get busy" He said, handing the flags over to Eddie.

"Right. Yes, sir. You'll be proud of us, sir. And you too, ma'am" Eddie nodded at Nova. "We'll have Union Jacks left, right and centre" He began putting the flags up on the wall.