tooth and claw 2.2

Robert brought Victoria and the Tardis team into the observatory. In the observatory, was a massive bronze telescope. "This, I take it, is the famous Endeavour" Victoria said.

"All my father's work" Robert explained. "Built by hand in his final years. Became something of an obsession. He spent his money on this rather than caring for the house or himself"

The same impressed smile appeared on The Doctor and Nova's faces."I wish I'd met him. I like him" The Doctor said. "That thing's beautiful" He looked over to Nova, who was still staring in awe at the telescope. "Almost as beautiful as..." He caught himself speaking his thoughts out loud. His attention turned back to the telescope. "Can I?"

"Help yourself" Robert permitted.

The Tardis team got closer to the telescope. "What did he model it on?" Nova asked.

"I know nothing about it. To be honest, most of us thought him a little, shall we say, eccentric. I wish now I'd spent more time with him and listened to his stories"

"It's a bit rubbish" The Doctor commented. "How many prisms has it got? Way too many" Rose shook her head, and walked over to him. "The magnification's gone right over the top. That's stupid kind of--" The Doctor leaned in to Rose. "Am I being rude again?"

"Yep" She nodded.

"But it's pretty" The Doctor nodded, quickly correcting his words. "It's very pretty"

"And the imagination of it should be applauded" Victoria added as she approached.

"Mmm. Thought you might disapprove, Your Majesty" Rose said. She really wanted Victoria to say those three magic words. She took another chance at it. "Stargazing. Isn't that a bit fanciful? You could easily not be amused, or something? No?"

"This device surveys the infinite work of God" Victoria spoke. Rose huffed in disappointment, as Tate chuckled at her. "What could be finer? Sir Robert's father was an example to us all. A polymath, steeped in astronomy and sciences, yet equally well versed in folklore and fairytales"

"Stars and magic" Nova mused dreamily.

"I like him more and more" The Doctor added.

"Oh, my late husband enjoyed his company" Victoria reminisced. "Prince Albert himself was acquainted with many rural superstitions, coming as he did from Saxe Coburg"

"That's Bavaria"

Victoria turned in Robert's direction. "When Albert was told about your local wolf, he was transported"

Nova's curiosity sparked. "What's this wolf, then?"

Robert shrugged. "It's just a story"

"Then tell it" 

Robert seemed very hesitant to talk about the wolf. "It's said--"

One of the servants cut him off. "Excuse me, sir. Perhaps her Majesty's party could repair to their rooms. It's almost dark"

Robert nervously glanced back at the servant and then to his guests with a smile. "Of course" He agreed. "Yes, of course"

"And then supper" Victoria suggested. She turned to look at Rose. "And could we find some clothes for Miss Tyler? I'm tired of nakedness"

"It's not amusing, is it?" Rose said, perhaps a little louder than she should have.

Victoria looked back at her, then to Robert, ignoring Rose's statement. Tate started laughing quietly as he leaned into Rose. She began laughing with him. "Sir Robert, your wife must have left some clothes. See to it. We shall dine at seven, and talk some more of this wolf. After all, there is a full moon tonight"