the girl in the fireplace 4.2

The Doctor and Nova were in Reinette's bedroom again. It seemed different from when they were both last there. It wasn't a little girl's bedroom anymore. It was a big and plush split level room. Hand in hand, both Time Lords took a step further. Nova called out for Reinette. "Reinette? Just checking you're okay"

The two of them walked over to the harp. Nova played a few notes on it. Then someone cleared their throat. The Doctor and Nova turned around to see an adult woman standing behind them. "Oh, hello" The Doctor greeted. "Er, We were just looking for Reinette. This is still her room, isn't it? We've been away, not sure how long"

"Reinette!" A woman called from some other room. "We're ready to go!"

"Go to the carriage, Mother" the woman in the room with them called out in response. She kept her gaze on the two Time Lords, though it was mostly directed to Nova. "I will join you there. It is customary, I think, to have imaginary friends only during one's childhood. You two are to be congratulated on your persistence"

Nova's eyes widened in realization and she grew a smile. "Reinette!" She gasped. Reinette smiled at her. "Well. Goodness, how you've grown"

"And neither of you do not appear to have aged a single day" Reinette approached the two of them. "That is tremendously impolite of you"

"Right, yes, sorry" The Doctor muttered out. "Listen, lovely to catch up, but better be off, eh? Don't want your mother finding you up here with a strange man and woman, do we?"

Even though The Doctor was talking, Reinette kept her gaze upon Nova. "Strange? How could you be strangers to me? I've known you since I was seven years old"

"Yeah, I suppose you have" Nova said. "We came the quick route"

Reinette placed a hand on Nova's cheek. "You seem to be flesh and blood, at any rate" Now it seemed Reinette was more so talking to only Nova. "But this is absurd" Reinette removed her hand. "Reason tells me you cannot be real"

"Oh, you never want to listen to reason" Nova shrugged, shaking her head.

"Mademoiselle!" A servant called out. "Your mother grows impatient"

"A moment!" Reinette called back. She looked back to Nova. "So many questions. So little time" Reinette pushed Nova up against the wall and then pressed her lips on hers in a passionate kiss. The Doctor's eyes widened in shock and yet his stomach churned in jealousy. Nova was just as shocked as The Doctor. Her hands were held out at her side and her eyes remained wide.

"Mademoiselle Poisson!" the servant called out again. Reinette ended her kiss with Nova, and she ran out of the room. Nova stood there in a daze, while The Doctor was still trying to register what happened between Reinette and his Supernova. The servant walked in the room. He stared at Nova and The Doctor.

"Poisson? Reinette Poisson?" The Doctor began. "No! No, no, no, no, no way. Reinette Poisson?" He became jittery with excitement. He ran over to the servant while Nova stayed her in spot, staring at nothing in a daze. "Later Madame Etoiles? Later still mistress of Louis the Fifteenth, uncrowned Queen of France? Actress, artist, musician, dancer, courtesan, fantastic gardener!" He went back over to the fireplace.

"Who the hell are you two!?" the servant demanded.

"I'm The Doctor" He pointed at Nova. "That's the Nightingale, and she just snogged Madame de Pompadour" The Doctor laughed amusingly as he hit the mechanism again, making the fireplace turn back around. The two Time Lords were back on the spaceship. "Rose! Tate! Mickey!" He called out for his companions. "Every time. Didn't I tell them?"

The Doctor tried asking Nova. He noticed that she was still frozen in a daze. "Supernova?" He waved his hands in front of her face. "That must've been some kiss. I wonder if you'll be like this when you and I finally..." The Doctor stopped himself. There are more important things right now than his first kiss fantasy with Nova.