Reanimation

"I-I don't want to talk about it..."

Ingressus sighed sadly, his arm wrapped around Achillean's shoulder, propped up against a pillow. The news had been especially depressing the previous night, describing Thalleous' attack and several other similar attacks all across Plasmatropolis. The part that he guessed affected the Nestoris the most was the shaking report about Kai's death, which was delivered by Sam and David themselves.

"We regret to inform that one of our close allies, known only as Kai, was killed by Thalleous' partner, Tygren Voltaris, when she threw herself in front of-" Sam had choked a little at those words, "Of the Agressium song fired by the Voltaris in order to protect another of our allies, Achillean Nestoris."

At that moment, David had rested a hand upon his shoulder, but said nothing. He had no words.

Achillean had now pulled his covers over his head, hacking sobs sounding from beneath. Ingressus knew not to disturb him during this phase, and instead, propped himself up with his pillow beside him, trying to process the events of the past few days.

"I never should have gotten us involved." Achillean sobbed. "I'm sorry, Ingressy."

He stayed quiet, though he put a reassuring hand onto the yellow Ardoni's shoulder.

"This is all my fault-"

Ingressus couldn't be patient any longer, "No, Achi, it's not your fault. It's that accursed Sendaris'. If he just behaved himself this might have never happened."

After a brief moment of silence, Achillean agreed, though shakily, "You know w-what? You're right. A-and we still have to stop him! Once and for all!"

*****

The reanimated Droug soldiers powered up, their lights now a bright purple. Years of hard work in William Lothan's underground factory had finally paid off, for now, everything was ready. William could control these soldiers with a device attached to his head, which allowed him to telepathically communicate orders. He'd tinkered with these soldiers to remove their true sentience and reduce them to nothing more than mindless machines.

After the Droug Invasion seven years ago, most of the fallen soldiers were moved out of the city, so it wasn't easy to find them, but William had managed. All the blood, sweat, and tears he'd put into this project were worth it, for now, his plans could finally commence. He paced around the concrete floor.

"Curse the Ardoni... I will avenge you, Jackson." William said, even though he knew his deceased son couldn't hear him.

A flash of the past flickered into his vision, of the police refusing to pull Jackson away from the rivers of bullets, a bundle of coins in their pudgy hands. Of the grinning Mendoris that had shot the fatal blow. Of the fury and grief that filled his soul , and of the oath he'd sworn over his own life to avenge the unjust death of his son.

"And I will shape the world into how it should be."