•19•

"Are you sure you're ready?" Niall asks for the thousandth time.

"Yes!" I laugh at him, even though my heart is pounding in my chest so loud I think everyone in the UK can hear it.

"Okay." He softly says. "Please be careful, try to walk fast or run if you can. It's cold outside and you are wearing close to nothing."

"Niall, I have rips in my leggings and a tank top that has a lot of dirt on it. I will be fine, yes, it's cold but I'm only going a block." As Niall turns the corner heading behind a store my nerves become more and more present.

I only have to walk a block, fake some tears, tell them my lie and then bam, I'm back with my dad and Niall and the guys aren't in trouble. I can do this. I can do this.

"What are you going to do while I'm at the station?" I ask again, my nerves are flying through the roof. I'm a pretty good liar but if I have learned one thing during my troublesome years of being a teenager, it's that you never lie to the police.

"I will take the three hour drive back home, and wait with the boys for Alex to call, letting us know that you are in your dad's custody." He recites. Yes, we did drive three hours here. It was Liam's idea. To be as far away from my home as I could get, to make the story we had made up believable.

"Okay. Okay, I'm ready." I take a deep breath in to collect myself.

"Okay, I will see you soon. I promise." I nod and reach over the console to hug Blondie. He holds me just as tight as I am holding him. I don't let go of him until I am completely positive that Alex's plan is going to work.

"Ready?" He asks. I nod and lean away from him and open the car door. "Evanna." he stops me just as my right foot hits the cold ground. "Wait." He pulls me back to him gently and places his lips on my cheek. "Promise you will come back to me."

"I promise." I tell him, this time when he leans in, his lips are covering my own. We have only kissed twice. Ironically, the fire that was once there has now doubled. I want to smile, but with what is about to happen, smiling seems inappropriate.

"I love you." Niall whispers when we part. I give him one last hug and climb out of the car without another word.

-

My journey to the police station was a lot longer than what I thought it would be. A lot colder too. I've done enough shivering today to last a life time. So when I saw five police cars in one parking lot, I was beyond happy.

Before entering the building, I took one last breath and put on my best sad face.

When I opened the door, the bell chimed, letting everyone know that someone had just entered the building. I stood in place for a few seconds, playing the part. I looked around at my surroundings, taking in the nice office building.

"Are you okay?" A woman asked from behind her desk.

"No," I answer, my voice trembling. "No I- can you help me? Please." I start to cry, the fake tears streaming out of my eyes. The woman stands up from her desk and comes to my side.

"Come with me." She says and places a hand on my shoulder. I flinch away from her touch, again playing the part of an abused girl. "Can you tell me your name sweetheart?"

"My name is Evanna." I sniffle. Realization goes through the woman's body as she takes my features in.

"Harris?" She asks. I nod, and look down. "Okay, Evanna you are safe now." The woman says intensely. She leads me through hallways that seem never ending. I walk a few feet behind her.