Chapter 9: Bubbly

Seungmin

Jisung, will you come home late today?
11:09

Seungmin
You don't have a part-time job today, right? I know we're not that close to worry about each other, but please notify me if you're staying out late or won't be coming back for a while.
11:11

Seungmin
I tried to wait for you but I need to sleep now. I hope you're safe.
0:35

Seungmin
I won't put the door chain across the door just in case you come back to the dorm later.
0:36

Seungmin

You didn't come back to the dorm last night. Just checking if you're still alive.
6:00

Jisung
Okay, I'll do it next time. Sorry for making you worry.
I'm still alive. I slept at a friend's house, and I'll come back later.
7:02

I'll buy Seungmin an egg toast and strawberries on my way home since I inconvenienced him, Jisung thought to himself.

He got up and headed to the kitchen, he wanted to make breakfast for Kai before leaving, but the problem is, he's not good at cooking. He checks Kai's fridge and gets the ingredients: the leftover rice, kimchi, kimchi juice, Sriracha chili paste, sesame oil, toasted sesame oil, and scallion. Then he went to the shelves to get the utensils he'll need as well as the eggs, salt, pepper, soy sauce, and vegetable oil. He browsed the net for the step-by-step procedures on making kimchi fried rice and perfect sunny side up eggs.

Jisung squeezes the juice out of the kimchi into the measuring cup. He then whisks the kimchi juice, Sriracha chili paste, and soy sauce together until they are completely dissolved. He gets the bowl of rice and drizzles the sesame oil over the rice, and mixes it well. He puts the vegetable oil in a frying pan and heats it over medium-high heat until it becomes hot. He adds the chopped kimchi and stir-fries it until the kimchi becomes brown and fragrant. He then adds the rice and stir-fries it. When the rice has become uniformed in color, he pours the kimchi juice mixture over the rice and stir-fries them. He seasons it with pepper and salt.

Jisung tastes it, "Thankfully, it tastes good. I really hope Kai would like this." He said.

At the mention of her name, the moment last night in which he comforted her began replaying inside his head without warning. He can still remember how warm Kai's back hug was. Jisung facepalmed himself and then shook his head. Why would I suddenly remember in the middle of cooking? Focus Han Jisung, you need to make an edible for Kai to eat.

After mentally scolding himself, he started remixing them. He only stopped when the rice began to brown. He moves them into a plate and adds the scallions.

He sets them aside and prepares to cook the egg. Jisung heats the oil in a medium nonstick skillet over low heat until slightly shimmering, about 5 minutes. He then cracks an egg into a small bowl and slowly adds it to the skillet, and then he repeats it with the other egg. He seasons it with salt and pepper and then covers it with a tight lid. When it's done, he puts the egg on Kai's plate. He immediately covers the food and eats his portion. He washes the dishes and cleans the kitchen before going back to the sofa to fix his things. He changed into his clothes and headed outside. Before leaving, he made sure that he locked the door and closed the gate properly.

Jisung
Kai, I already left.
I made you breakfast. Sorry for using the kitchen without your permission.
7:07

Jisung

It's my first time cooking for someone else, so forgive me if my skills are lacking but I really hope you like it. Eat well, and take care.
7:40

Jisung
One last thing, I forgot to thank you for going to the museum with me, and for letting me stay. I also want to let you know that I really enjoyed last night.
8:09

Jisung
You're probably still asleep. I got to go now. See you later :)
8:20

࿐ ˚ . ❁

Kai woke up several minutes after Jisung has departed. She checked her phone, and as soon as she read his texts, it made her feel like butterflies are fluttering around in her stomach. Kai buries her face in the pillow and squeals.

Kai suddenly remembers how it felt when she was back hugging Jisung while he was singing a comforting song. She can feel her face starting to heat right after reliving the moment. Kai can't help herself but squeal against the pillow.

I am an adult now, but why am I acting like a teenager? Is this the effect of being single for too long?

Kai sat up and wrapped her arms around the pillow, "Why does he keep doing things that are making my heart flutter, and why do I keep reacting this way? He probably does those without feeling anything at all."

Kai was disappointed by the thought that Jisung doesn't feel the same way, but she shrugs it off immediately. I should stop here before it deepens. Considering my history with him, I think me and him would be impossible.

Kai let out a sigh before going downstairs. She went to the kitchen and took her first bite of Jisung's kimchi fried rice. She caught herself smiling like a fool.

"Wow, this tastes really good. I didn't see this coming. I didn't peg him for a cook. Why is my friend so cool?" Kai said, and then she continued to happily fill her stomach with the food Jisung had made for her.

࿐ ˚ . ❁

Jisung's Kimchi Fried Rice and Sunny Side Up Eggs

Reference:
https://mykoreankitchen.com/kimchi-fried-rice/
https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/jeff-mauro/perfect-sunny-side-up-eggs-3672187