Chapter 7: I See The Light

As the elevator door opens, Kai and Younghyun gave each other gestures of encouragement before entering. Younghyun told the operator about the experiment, so she won't find it weird if they rode it six times. Since it is still early, the mall is not yet crowded. However, people came rushing in on your fifth try, causing both of you to be pushed back. Kai notices that Younghyun is starting to be affected by it, so she urges him to turn around. They are currently facing the other side in which they can see the railings.

"Breathe in, breathe out," Kai said while pressing Youngyhun's hand.

Younghyun gave her a nod and did what he was told. They remained silent.

I'll just distract myself by watching the people that are passing by. It's okay, you can do it, Kai. It's not that high.

The elevator momentarily stops for people to get off and to get on it. Kai caught a glimpse of a father and a daughter near the railings. The father is currently pointing his fingers at the elevator, while the young girl is amazed. Kai keeps her gaze on them, however as she stares longer, she realizes that their faces have been changed with her image and her father's, and before the elevator reaches the ground, Kai saw the two figures jumping off the railing. Kai's hands started to shake, causing her to clutch the handrail tightly. Her heart began to palpitate, and she felt suffocated. With a pounding head, she fights the urge to scream and immediately closed her eyes.

It's alright, they're alright. My mind is just playing tricks on me. It's okay, it's not real, none of it was. Get a hold of yourself, Kai.

The elevator once again stopped. As she felt that the once tight space has now become loose, she opened her eyes and forced herself to move forward. Kai hurriedly went out of it and headed to the exit. Kai was walking too fast, and when she looked back, she realized Younghyun is not there anymore, and she also didn't realize that she has been crying silently. Her legs started to tremble, so she let herself fall to the ground. With shaky hands, she wipes her tears away. Kai looked around and realized that she's in an unfamiliar area near the mall. It is filled with stores that are already open.

How did I get here? How long did I space out? Have I been walking aimlessly while crying? People might have looked at me weirdly because of my state.

Kai felt her phone vibrate from her pockets, so she checks it.

9 missed calls from Changbin

15 missed calls from Ryujin

19 missed calls from Chan

16 missed calls from Younghyun

Message from Chan (26)

Message from Younghyun (26)

Message from Ryujin (30)

Message from Changbin (22)

She tried to call Younghyun, but since her hands are still trembling, she called Jisung's number instead.

Jisung picks it up already, even though his shift is about to start.

"Kai? Are you alright? Why did you call?"

Kai was sniffing when he answered, and she was surprised to hear Jisung's voice instead of Younghyun's. She removes the phone from her ear and checks the screen.

What? I thought I called Younghyun's number.

"Kai?"

"I-I'm sorry, I was trying to call someone else, but I selected yours instead. Sorry for disturbing you."