Chapter 6

Daryl's P.O.V

I sit bolt right up in bed, my breathing heavily laboured. I look around the room and notice that I'm not in the hospital, but in the house beside Cat. I take deep breathes and look at her, listening to the sounds of her snoring. It had been months since I've been able to lay next to her and watch her sleep. She looks extremely calm and peaceful as she lays there.

I lie on my side and prop my head up with my hand, watching her sleep. She is facing me with her hands under her head, her mouth open ajar. Her hair covers her face and I reach forward, moving it out of the way. She stirs slightly underneath my touch, but continues to sleep and I smile at the sight.

At that moment the door bursts open and Cat sits up bolt right. Torches shine in our faces and I block the light with my arm.

"Wha' the hell is goin' on?" I yell.

"Walkers are everywhere." Rick yells.

Cat turns to me and stares in horror, her hand covering her mouth.

"Grab your gear, we need to go." Rick commands, leaving the room.

Cat and I rush out of bed, putting on our shoes and grabbing random things. I pull my bag on my back and grab my crossbow, holding it tightly. Cat pulls on her bag and she hobbles quickly with me out the door.

The hallway is filled with people, yelling at each other and running around. I hear the sound of a window breaking and everyone freezes momentarily.

"Let's go!" Rick yells.

We all rush for the stairs and get to the bottom floor, which slowly becomes filled with walkers. I grab Cat's hand and pull her in the opposite direction of the walkers, with people following close behind. As we round a corner, walkers come out of the dining room in our direction. We all turn to go the opposite way but as Cat and I are about to go through the study, walkers block our path. I look around and see a doorway to the lounge room.

"Come on!" I yell, pulling her with me.

We rush past the walkers converging on us and go through the lounge room. Cat screams out as a walker grabs her arm and I quickly shoot it before it sinks it's flesh into her. She quickly grabs the arrow and we run through the front door onto the porch.

We run onto the lawn towards the cars that are rumbling loudly. Walkers surround the house and slowly make their way towards the car. Cat and I run to Rick's SUV and quickly jump into the back. He slams his foot onto the gas and we speed away from the house.

I look around and see Carl in the front with Judith in his lap, holding into her for dear life. Michonne is beside us on the seat, her katana held firmly in her hands as she watches out the window. Maggie and Glenn are in the back with little Beth in Glenn's arms.

"Did everyone make it out?" Cat asks breathless.

"We don't know." Rick says, eyes locked on the road.

"I tried to help people out, but we got cornered." Glenn says.

"There are two cars behind us, so hopefully everyone's out." Maggie says shakily.

"Wha' happened?" I ask.

"I was on watch with Noah, when we heard a rustling in the woods. A lone walker stepped out but soon a dozen or so came out and we ran immediately to get everyone out." Rick says.

We sit there in silence, trying to catch our breaths. I feel a hand reach out and clutch mine firmly, squeezing tight. I look beside me and see Cat looking out through the windscreen with a blank expression, her hand holding mine. Her other hand is rested on her stomach, stroking it slowly back and forth. I squeeze her hand back and wrap my arm around her waist, settling it on her stomach while gripping her hand in my hand.