Epilogue

Cat's P.O.V

The prongs of the hair brush run through my now washed hair, feeling amazing and foreign. For the first time in God knows how long, I had a hot shower. A real shower with running hot water. It felt so amazing that Daryl and I stayed in there for over half an hour. It was also Amelia's first shower, she was a bit upset at first but then she settled in as we washed her body clean of all the grimness she has had over her whole short life.

We all decided to stay in the one house to begin with, just to be cautious incase anything happened but it didn't. Instead we had our first peaceful night of rest in months. I woke up this morning feeling like I had had enough sleep, that I didn't feel exhausted for once. Though there is still hesitancy in our group, something about our overall mood is different, lighter, more hopeful.

Amelia let's out a noise from beside me in a basket with a pillow and I smile down at her, "It's alright Darling, I'm nearly ready."

The door to the bathroom open and I turn to see Rick walk in and he takes us in, "Oh, I'll come back later." He says and I pause as I stare at him.

Yesterday Rick made a drastic physical change. The long, grey wiry beard that I grew so accustomed too is now gone as well as the long curly locks that went along with it. I've never seen him look so clean shaven, he looks incredible.

"Not you too." He rolls his eyes as he notices my staring and I snap out of it, "I'm sorry, it's just you look so different. So good."

He rolls his eyes as a blush comes to his cheeks, "Well, thanks."

I nod and pick up Amelia from the basket I placed her in, "I'll uh, let you get too it."

He nods and steps out of the way for me to move and I walk past him. I go to leave when I stop and turn to face him, "Rick?"

He turns and faces me, "Yeah?"

I look at him for a moment before I walk forward and wrap my free arm around him, giving him a tight hug. He hesitates for a moment before he wraps his arm around me, careful to not crush Amelia between us. I've missed this, just being able to hug him and for everything be okay. Things have always been really complicated between the two of us. But now, with this new place maybe we have a chance of things going back to normal and us just being best friends again.

I pull away and smile at him, tucking a loose piece of hair away from his forehead and I smile at him, "Thank you. For everything. You've given my daughter a home, a safe place to grow up in. I don't think I can ever repay you."

A small smile comes to his lips and he looks down at the ground before he looks back up, "It was actually you." He says after a long pause.

"What?" I ask, my eyebrows scrunching up in confusion.

"I was on the fence about going, not wanting to risk Carl and Judith's lives. Or any of yours for that matter. But you convinced me, you're the reason we're here." He explains, looking me right in the eye.

"Oh." I whisper, feeling surprised at his revelation.

We look at each other for a long time before I hear footsteps coming in from behind us in the hallway, "Everything alright?" The southern drawl asks.

I nod my head and smile at Rick, "Yeah, everything's good."

"Well we're all waiting downstairs." Daryl explains and I nod my head and turn to him, "Alright, let's go."

I glance back at Rick, "Meet you down there in a few?"

He nods his head, "Okay."

Daryl and I turn and make our way down towards where everyone else is gathered. We all look different, perhaps because we are all in fresh clothes and are not covered in dirt and blood for a change. There is an excited chatter amongst the group and I smile at the sight, it's pretty incredible. Soon enough we hear footsteps on the stairs and I look to see Rick come down.