Chapter 11

Cat's P.O.V
Another wave of excruciating pain rolls through my body and I cry out in pain. I clutch at Hayden's arm as he continues to lead me out of the walkers reach.

"You're doing great Cat, just keep breathing." He says as calmly as he can.

I turn and see the walkers are fairly close now, "Hayden!" I cry out.

"I know Cat, just keep walking. I'll take care of them." He says.

One reaches for him and he turns quickly, pushing it away. He lets go of me and turns quickly taking down the walker.

"We need to find a safe place where we can get rid of these walkers and you can have a safe delivery." He states.

He looks around for a moment and points ahead, "Over there!"

I look ahead and see a barn situated further ahead in the woods, "What about the walkers?!" I ask.

"I'll lead them away." Hayden explains as he takes another down.

"You can't leave me!" I cry out as a walker reaches for me.

He rushes over and takes it down, "I have to if you're going to be safe. Go to the barn, I'll lead them away and come back for you."

"Please Hayden, I'm scared. I-" I begin to panic.

"Cat, you have to do this otherwise we'll all die. You have to do this for the baby. I'll find you, okay?" He says, looking into my eyes.

I look up at him completely frightened, tears streaming down my face. I nod my head, "Okay."

He nods his head and takes a few steps back from me, turning to the walkers, "Hey, over here!"

The walkers look at him as he walks and I hide behind a tree as Hayden attracts their attention. Soon they are following him and I sneak off into the direction of the barn. I quickly reach it and open the door, slipping inside. I look around wildly to see if there is anything I can barricade the door with. I see a log that can bind the doors together. I bend down to pick it up when another contraction overwhelms me.

"Ahh!" I scream out, clutching at my stomach.

I stand there for a moment, taking deep breathes through the pain. Once the pain subsides somewhat I drag the log over to the door and slide it through the slot. What seems like seconds later another contraction overwhelms me and I falls to my knees on the floor. I'm crying out in pain and I attempt to breath properly. All of a sudden there is a banging at the door and I scream out.

"Cat it's me, open the door!" Hayden's voice cries out.

I get to my feet and stumble to the door, sliding out the log. He pushes open the door and slams it shut behind him, putting the log back into place. He turns and leans against the door, letting out deep breathes. He looks at me and rushes over, "How far apart are the contractions?" He asks.

"Around three minutes." I say.

He nods, "Okay, let's get you over here and get your pants off. I want to see how far you've dilated."

He walks me over to a stable in the barn and helps me take my pants off. He takes off his jacket and lays it out underneath me before I lay down.

"Okay Cat, out your knees up and spread them apart." He says, kneeling in front of me.

I do as he says and another contraction overwhelms me and my hands grasp at the ground beneath me. The pain is indescribable as it rolls throughout my body, a throbbing sensation everywhere.

"Okay Cat, you are doing great. You are at eight centimetres which means you're nearly there. It's going a lot quicker than I thought it would but that's good. I alright I need you to just keep calm and breath like I taught you. You wanna breathe with me?" He asks.