✰ 10

I lied in bed with my back facing the door. My body was exhausted from all the work I had to do at the store today. My mind was wrecked from all the unnecessary grocery store drama. All I wanted to do was sleep, but I couldn’t. Politely, I had asked the kids to go outside so I could get some rest, but unfortunately I could still hear them. Every so often I could hear Trystan calling someone a ‘faggatron’ or I could hear Lauren ranting about some topic that no one truly cared about. Therefore, I just stared at the wall. I stared at the wall and thought about anything that my tired mind could achieve to think of. At first, dreading having to go back to the hell, also known as Sammy’s Market, was on my mind, but then I thought about dragons and dinosaurs. I know it’s weird, but it popped up since I was bored out of my mind. I thought about if dinosaurs were real, then dragons had to be, too, right? After dragons, somehow Kai popped up in my mind. I thought about her dark hair, her neutral intimidating facial expression, how adorable she looked when she actually smiled and laughed, and about those forest green eyes of hers. She was definitely a woman like no other. She was beautiful, and dangerous and I admit that I was all for it. It was weird how attached I had gotten to her in a span of a couple of days. Most would say it was just lust, but her looks weren’t the only thing that appealed to me. Her personality was also something worth thinking about. At one moment she could be stern and authoritative, and then she could be the flirty and seductive. One moment she could be fuming with jealousy, but then begin to sing karaoke like nothing had ever happened. She was weird, and I liked that about her.

There was a light knock on my door and I turned to my side to face it. The chipped white door opened slowly and revealed the person standing behind it. I was surprised to see that it wasn’t one of the kids, but it was actually the person who I was thinking about. Kai stood there, looking amazing as usual. She was wearing a leather jacket over a white Henley shirt, and dark jeans with stylish, combat boots. When I saw her, I sat up and she walked in fully and shut the door behind her. I don’t know why, but when she closed the door my heart skipped a beat. I was all alone with Kai in my bedroom. The girl was as seductive as a sex goddess. There’s no telling what would go down in a matter of minutes. “Hi,” Kai said with a small smile spread across her lips. “I was-I was thinking about you,” she said as her eyes bore deep into mine. She was standing a couple of feet from the bed but her eyes were still intensifying. She held her hands behind her back and glanced over at the lamp that was by the bed. I couldn’t believe Kai actually was thinking about me. Surely she had more important things to think about like that bitch Michaela or drug deals. Kai bit her lower lip and pointed towards the door, “You know what? I don’t know what I was thinking. I should just go.”

Shit, I hadn’t even said a thing to her. She probably thought I was being bothered or something, but really I so infatuated by her that I couldn’t utter a word. “Wait, Kai,” I said softly. She had her back turned to me by this point and her hand was on the door knob. “I was just thinking about you, too,” I admitted sheepishly, even when she wasn’t looking at me I blushed like I was a middle-schooler.  “Well, I thought about you after I thought about dragons and dinosaurs,” I blurted stupidly. I heard Kai let out a sexy, raspy chuckle. She turned back towards with me with her perfectly arched eyebrows raised. I looked down at the bed sheets and began playing with the strings of the worn out fabric. I heard the sound of her heavy boots walk closer to the bed, and then the bed sunk at a new pressure. I looked towards her to see her sitting down on the edge of the bed.

“Dinosaurs, huh,” she asked with an amused smirk. “You thought about dragons and dinosaurs and then you thought about me,” she asked giddily. I don’t know why she was so amused by this, but it was adorably. Those green eyes of her got lighter and so did the brightness of her skin. It was like she was glowing. She kicked off her boots, and moved so her feet were on the bed and she lied down on her back comfortably. I sat there with my legs crisscrossed as I stared at the girl who was lying in my bed like it was her own. “Are you three years old,” she finally asked with a taunting smirk. I frowned at her and crossed my eyes.