10

EVIE 

Never realized how time consuming writing a paper could be. After ordering half the beef section in the Chinese take-out menu, I sat in front of my laptop, glasses on and hair pulled up. Casablanca is playing in the background, the volume turned down low. It was just the right amount of background noise that I needed, but also enough of a distraction when the homework became too much. 

“Alright, time to do this thing,” I tell myself. I crack my fingers, cringing at the sound, but sighing at the temporary relief. Looking at the screen, I am met with a blank word document. A visual representation of my thoughts and mind. 

I had come to a complete blank. Usually I was able to write most of my papers in two hours. My notes were down and written the day before... something that would only take up to four hours to do. I had a processes when it came to tackling my never ending university work load. The way I saw it, if I was able to plan it all out ahead, the actual task of completing the paper would come second nature. 

Though here I was. The early hours of the afternoon arriving and I was only one page deep into my notes. This was unusual. It was completely and utterly unlike me. I felt a tad bit lost... unsure of why I couldn’t focus. 

Picking up my phone, I dial the familiar number. Each ringtone is longer than the last, prolonging my long waited distraction. 

“Offspring!” My mother’s joyful cries greet me on the other end. Instantly I smile, relishing in the comfort that came with her voice. 

“Hey mom.”

“You would never guess what happened today...” she laughs. I could almost picture her eyes rolling and her head falling back in amusement. 

“What happened?” 

“I bought a treadmill.” 

“Really? I thought dad was against stationary workout equipment. Something about going for a walk outside or something?”  

“With all the murderers and rapists.”

“Exactly,” I laugh. “So he changed his mind?”

“He did. Let’s just say it took a lot of healthy pursasion.” 

“Ew. Gross,” I shriek, scrunching my nose.  

“It’s natural baby!”

“So, you got a treadmill?” I say, bringing the conversation back before it took a dirty turn.

“I did... and I hate it. Why did I think exercise was a good idea? Who was the genius that said, ‘Golly, let’s build a moving sidewalk so that people can run on and call it exercise...’? Tell me who they are because I’d like to hit them against the head.” 

“They figured health was better than becoming an obesity statistic.”

“Idiots.” 

A smile grows on my lips. The fast paced conversations that came from my mother’s mouth being something I loved most. 

“Now,” she continues, “Tell mommy what’s wrong.”

“Nothing’s wrong,” I say hesitantly. 

“Evie...” 

“I’m fine Mom,” I reply once again with more certainty. “School’s getting a bit hectic and I’ve been busy with soccer. I think I’m just tired and distracted.” 

Mom clears her throat, “Maybe you need to cut some things out. I know I sound like an old record, but - please, don’t put too much on your plate or pressure. Being busy is great but it can  easily start to become too much. The last thing I need is for my daughter to have a heart attack and die.”