32

NIALL

It had been a hectic day. It always is after the holidays. Christmas in America hadn't been my original idea of how I wanted to spend the season. From the start, I always thought I'd be back in Ireland with my mum but that hadn't been the case. Money was tight on both ends making flying back home impossible. I thought that instead, I would be spending the morning with on Skype with mum, and opening our presents through webcam.

I had been rushing around the flat, grabbing everything I needed before my phone began to buzz in my back pocket. Quickly, I took it out, reading over the message.

Are you on your way?

My fingers flew over the screen as I struggled to type a quick, I'll be there in twenty.

It had been a mad rush all evening. I had been completely engrossed with the new song I had been writing, that I lost track of time. Before I knew it, it was already close to nine at night and I needed to be on the road.

Looking over the kitchen one last time, I made sure my keys, phone and wallet were tucked into my pockets. I grabbed my coat and locked the door before rushing down the steps. I was never one to be late nor was I always early. I usually managed to get there right when I promised- a skill I managed to perfect over the years.

But I knew that would not be the case when I saw the familiar head of blonde hair walk up and towards the glass doors of our building. I knew that Evie was avoiding me. Ever since her phone call on New Years, she hadn't been picking up my calls or answered any of my messages. I thought it was funny. Her friends were a right laugh, always mucking about and pulling jokes. Even though Evie was able to hold her own, I had noticed her confidence dwindle over the past few months.

I was quick to open the door before she could, greeting her as I did. "Jones! You're back!"

She kept her head down. "Uh, yeah..." she mumbles under her breath. Her hands were pushed into the pockets of her coat, her eyes focused on something at our feet.

"I thought you were dead. Been avoiding me?" I ask her lightly, hoping to lighten the mood.

"No," she quickly replies. "I - uh, need to... need to go." Her voice quivered as she pushes a stray piece of hair behind her ears.

Something was wrong. I did the first thing I could think of and wrapped my arms around her petite frame. Her head remains hidden in my chest. I bring my hand down to her chin, gently lifting it up with my thumb.

"You okay?" I ask her. She keeps her eyes shut and avoids my gaze. Her teeth nip at the corners of her lips. Her cheeks flushing but not because of the cold, but because of the few tears that slipped down her cheeks. "Hey, what's wrong?"

"Nothing," she whimpers, her head moving to the side of my palm.

"This is not nothing. Talk to me. What's wrong?" I try again.

Evie opens her eyes slowly. I watch her, my brows furrowing. I knew that something was going on with her. I had noticed it a few months back. Even though she was strong and confident, she was a shit liar.

"You've been crying."

"No," she lies, looking away... avoiding my eye contact.

I don't think twice before I gran her hand in mine, tugging her towards the door. "C'mon."

She tries to fight me but I only tighten my grip. "It's fine... I really want to go to bed Niall," she protests, but I only shake my head.

"Let me make you some tea first. Okay? We don't have to talk but I've been told I'm a great listener."