7

EVIE 

Cold air hits my face, biting at my cheeks. Violent shivers course down my back, my teeth chattering slightly. The grass is damp against my bare legs as I continue to stretch out my tired limbs. Day four of my 6 AM morning jogs, and it seemingly wasn’t getting any easier. It was still stupidly cold out and the constant downpours from the night before made everything a lot dirtier and way too damp.

Satisfied that I was stretched out enough, I begin with a slow paced jog. Every muscle ached but I ignored it. Keep going... I tell myself. Pushing through the morning aches, I continue along the sidewalk of my neighborhood. Each window of each home and apartment was dim.  They were probably all filled with sleeping bodies, snuggled up in their warm beds. None of them stupid enough to be up this early on a Saturday morning. I envied them. 

I begin to jog in a relatively steady pace. Nike’s hitting pavement. Music blasts through earbuds, sending shrills of motivation. I get lost into a world of heavy beats and soulful voices. Every ounce of my senses being captured by a  world of concentration. I was never the type of person who enjoyed going for a morning run. It was ridiculous to me. Yet here I was... awake at the break of dawn... running. 

I keep moving. My muscles warming up with each step that I took. Ironically, Kanye West’s Work Out Plan begins to play in my earbuds. I can’t help but laugh, shaking my head and the old tune. 

One and two and three and four... my steps hit each beat.

Sweat brims the edge of my forehead, slowly dripping down the side of my cheek. My heartbeat speeds up. My pace picks up. Each footstep going quicker and quicker. The thrill of raised adrenaline encouraging my quicken pace. I felt lighter... happier... sweaty. God, did I feel sweaty. 

The song switches and something suddenly grabs my arm. Yelping, I jump back and almost falling to the ground. It’s a blur of grey, black and blonde. A familiar pair of baby blues look down at me. It’s Niall who is bending over in laughter. Pulling out my headphones I give him my best glare. 

“What the hell is wrong with you?” 

This only encourages his incessant laughter. 

“I’m... so... sorry...” He continues to laugh, his head thrown back, eyes scrunched and hand on his chest. “You jumped so high! And that face... Jesus.” 

I slap Niall’s arm but this only encourages him more. “You’re a dick,” I mutter. 

He wipes his eyes, his laughter dying down. “Sorry... sorry.” 

“Why are you sneaking up on innocent runners anyway? Pretty positive that’s an offense somewhere,” I say while rubbing my arms that have suddenly grown chilly. 

“Just been running meself,” he casually shrugs, a grin playing at his lips. 

“Meself? God, could you get any more Irish?” 

He chuckles, “Plenty more where that came from.” 

“Don’t know if I want to experience it.” 

Niall smiles, shaking his head. He then reaches out towards me. Flinching, I step back, brows furrowed in confusion. “Just hold still,” he laughs. His hand reaches out once again, taking hold of my iPod strapped to my arm. “Aren’t you fancy,” he comments. 

His bright eyes look over my old iPod nano. It looked small in his hands, as his fingers fumble with the small device. “Jesus, this is old.” I smirk as he continues to figure out how to work it. He mumbles a finally, his thumb turning in a small circle. I take a step closer, look over his shoulder to see what he was doing.