Chapter 7

A

Antonia woke up knowing that she would have to rush and get ready for dinner. Rubbing her eyes, and searching the bed for her phone was an unwelcome chore. When she saw that Vin never answered back her text, that put her in a mood. A foul one. Getting up to take care of things in the bathroom was something she had no choice to do. She freshened up and headed downstairs towards the kitchen where she knew her mother would be at this time.

"Mom?"

When she didnt see her mother, she spread out into the other rooms in search of her. She found her on the porch on the phone, and the look on her mothers face said it all. She was pissed. Antonia wanted to convince herself that she was in no way eavesdropping on her mothers phone call, but indeed, she was. What on earth was going on?

"No, it is bad enough that this is being done your way, please have some patience, and be kind."

Antonia could not imagine who her mother was speaking to, or why she was so angry. Having enough of the hide behind the door and spy act, she approached her mother.

"Mom?"

When he mother jumped and hung up the phone, Antonia figured what this was. Her mom had found a boyfriend, and this was her waiting and being unsure whether or not to introduce mystery man to her daughter. Letting out a long breath that Antonia was not even aware that she was holding in, she laughed.

"Mom, are we meeting your boyfriend or something? Cause if thats the case, please dont worry. You deserve to be happy and with someone, Whoever he is , if hes good enough for you then I am sure that he will be good enough for me. "

Her mother smiled, and pushed Antonia along to the car for the drive to the restaurant.

Antonia was silent during the car ride, getting that icky feeling when you know the other shoe is about to drop, but you cannot imagine the impact about to implode. When they arrived at the restaurant, Antonia was shocked to see that it was very fancy. The thought occurred to her in that moment, that it was possible she was not dressed well enough. Too late now.

They valet the car, and entered the restaurant. Antonia's senses were on overdrive, and she totally missed what her mother said the to woman at the front area. In a slight daze they walked towards a table in the back. Antonia noted that is was sort of separate and much more private back here. while the rest of the place was bustling. When she looked towards the table, a man had risen from his chair. He was tall, and well build. He had dark hair much like her own, and eyes the lightest shade of blue, surrounded by dark lashes. He smiled, and for reasons unknown to her, she felt lightheaded. 

"HI, Im Joe, nice to meet you Antonia. Your mom has told me so much about you. Please sit, and lets order some good food. Do you enjoy italian food? Would you rather start with dessert?"

Antonia looked at her mother expecting her to be happy, or smiling. Her mom was looking very unhappy, and her features were very much on guard.

"HI, I do like Italian food. Chicken Parm is my fave."

"Mine too, how about that?"

"Antonia...."

Finally my mother spoke.

"Tricia, let me please."

Joe pleaded with my mother to tell me whatever it was that she was going to. Maybe they were going to get married.  I hope I didnt have to move, unless it was to Rhode Island.."

"I met your mother when I was much younger. We fell in love rather quickly. I wanted to get married, but your mother had refused. I then had to travel out of the country for business. I checked in with your mother every chance I had. When I got back, your mother and I just were not on the same page with things, Alot of things. Still, we spoke all the time. Now, with my position for work, I fought with your mother, and insisted that she allow you to know me, and who I am."

Confused as ever, and kinda glad her mother was in love at some point in her life, Antonia asked the only question she could.

"Who are you?"

"Im your dad."

He dropped that bomb, and then called over the waiter, as Antonia felt the bottom of the world fall out from under her.