Chapter 5: The Room and the Sword

I don’t know what’s with King Candy at this moment. I couldn’t comprehend if he’s having a heart attack or it’s just normal for him to panic like that, but this I’m sure: I need to get out of this castle as soon as possible.

“Seize them, soldiers!” is what King Candy bellowed next.

Before any of them can even come near me or Ralph, I thundered, “HOLD IT!”

All of them stopped moving. I took the chance to look at my Menu and whispered to Ralph, “Ralph, close your eyes.”

“What? Why –”

“Just do it, you bastard!” I hissed at him while holding a Deku Seed.

I looked straight at Ralph and when I saw that he already closed his eyes, I threw the Deku Seed in front of me. Its effect was instantaneous: all of those in front of us, including King Candy, were temporarily stunned.

“Ralph, run!” I shouted while I ran towards the door.

I didn’t have any time to open the door so I took my Megaton Hammer out, but Ralph beat me to it; one smash with his two arms and the door was blasted to smithereens. He suddenly grabbed me and both of us escaped from the castle.

I seemed to me that Ralph only ran for a few seconds before we came to a stop. I didn’t notice where we ended up because I have lost my sense of direction because of Ralph lifting me up. I just realized that I’m already sitting on the ground and Ralph ran somewhere while trying to scare someone. I needed to shake my head a little for me to regain my focus. When I saw where Ralph went to, I saw that he’s talking to that little girl he was chasing a while ago. I daresay this is Vanellope von Schweetz, the girl King Candy was talking about. I went to them and heard their conversation. Ralph still didn’t change his mind. He still wants his medal.

“You can’t get your medal back until I win the race. And now that my racecar is broken to bits, there is no way for you to get it back,” Vanellope explained, irritated.

Ralph began to throw a tantrum by smashing his arms on a large rock that also looked like it was made of really hard candy.

Vanellope called, “What are you doing? That’s a jawbreaker! You couldn’t just –”

Before Vanellope can finish what she was saying, the jawbreaker suddenly split into half. I noticed that Vanellope smiled while she said something that I failed to hear.

I went to her and said, “You should have seen how he smashed that door back in King Candy’s castle.”

She looked at me. “Hmm, and who’re you? It’s the first time I’ve seen you ‘round here. Don’t tell me you’re friends with Ralph here.”

I crossed my arms. “I guess you could say that, but we just met this morning. I’m Link, from The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D. And let me guess, you must be Vanellope von Schweetz.”

“The very same,” she answered. “I think that King Candy already told you a lot about me, eh?”

“Well, other than the fact that you’re a glitch that shouldn’t even join the upcoming race, no, he hasn’t told me anything about you,” I responded.

Vanellope chuckled and looked at Ralph. “You, Ralph, if you really want to get your medal back, you need to help me make a new racecar.”

“And how am I supposed to do that?” asked a disgruntled Ralph. “I destroy stuff, not make them.”

“Oh, details, details, just come and follow me!” Vanellope answered, and then looked at me. “You, Link, will you come with us?”

I shook my head and said, “If I wouldn’t succeed at my first try with King Candy, I think I need to think of another way to make him listen to me. I need to go back to the castle, but I shall go straight to King Candy.”