Chapter 28: The Argument in the Desert

The days passed by and I just found myself standing before Joseph's brothers, but now, they're also accompanied by a man only a few years younger than me. If I am correct, they brought their younger brother, Benjamin, here in Egypt to prove to Joseph that they were telling the truth when they first came here.

When they approached me, one of them spoke. "Excuse me, sir. We would like to have a word with the Governor of Egypt, Lord Zaphenath-Panea in order for us to fulfill our promise to bring our younger brother, Benjamin."

"Uh, oh, yeah," I answered. "If I'm not mistaken, you're Reuben, am I right?"

His eyebrows shot up in surprise. "How did you..."

"No worries, Sir Reuben," I said. "Sir Simeon told me about you twelve, so I already know almost all of you by name. And you also have nothing to worry about Sir Simeon because I made sure that he is well-treated."

"I'm sorry, sir, but there are only eleven of us left, because one of us is already gone," he answered.

"That's what you think," I thought to myself while I nodded and said, "No matter. I you would follow me, I can bring you to our home where Lord Zaphenath-Panea is. I believe we haven't met, so allow me to introduce myself. I'm Eiri-Nephthis, the second Governor of Egypt, and I shall be your guide on the way to our palace. Oh, wait, Asher, your sandal is untied."

They were shocked with what they just heard, especially when I called another one of them by name. They never might have expected that the one to meet them in their arrival here in Egypt would be one of the Governors himself, and I would serve as their guide. I just snickered as I turned my back on them and motioned for them to follow me.

I saw Joseph on his way out of the palace when his brothers and I arrived in front.

I didn't need to utter a single word because when he saw his brothers, including his younger brother Benjamin, he immediately approached Benjamin and said, "I must thank you for returning here in Egypt to keep your promise. Now... now I know that... that..."

Without warning, he rushed back inside the palace. I already know that he couldn't hold hi emotions back because he saw his younger brother once again. I just mimed shaking my head and turned to Joseph's brothers.

"Please wait inside," I told them. "I just need to attend to something for a while."

When they agreed, I left them in the palace entrance and looked for Joseph inside. I found him sobbing inside their room with Asenath. The door was open so I saw both of them inside and it looked like Asenath was trying to calm Joseph down.

I'm not certain if I should go inside now that I saw them, but when Joseph saw me, he hurriedly rushed to me and trapped me in a vice-like hug while still sobbing. I let him hug the air out of me until he finally calmed down.

"They're your brothers, am I right?" I asked him when he was finally calm.

"Y-yes, John," Joseph answered. "But how did you know? I told only Asenath of this."

I took a deep breath and rolled my eyes while saying, "Who else would have made the reaction you did a while ago when you saw your brothers except for you? Besides, Simeon told me his story, and it perfectly matches yours. Who else would have ten brothers who sold their younger brother in Egypt aside from you?"

Joseph couldn't answer. I saw Asenath approach us and say, "Don't you think we should celebrate your brothers' return?"

"Asenath is right, Joseph," I added. "It's no joke to be separated from them for eleven years."

Joseph had to think for a while before answering. He heaved a sigh and said, "You're right. We do need to celebrate. We need a big celebration for their return."