Chapter 12: Desire for Execution

Joseph was unable to speak when he saw my bloody front, but I think shock wasn’t what prevents him from speaking. Truthfully, it looks like he wasn’t surprised at all at present. From what he looks like, he looked more like someone who has been betrayed or who has been accused of a crime he didn’t commit.

Several moments have passed and my knees slowly gave so I collapsed on the bars of the cell we’re in and I was left catching my breath. From all that happened today, it was still a miracle that I was able to stay conscious despite the fact that something I dread that Potiphar says will happen in a few days’ time. I still didn’t know why I did not forget to breathe this time.

I was staring at blank space when I heard someone sobbing inside our cell. When I got back from the world of nothingness, I saw that Joseph was sitting with someone else. He was a fattish man with a yellowish complexion. He’s got small eyes, no eyebrows, a flat nose, and a wide but thin mouth. He was crying in earnest as if someone close to him just died.

“Bis, please calm down,” Joseph consoled his companion. “I know how it is to lose someone I love, but nothing will happen if you keep that up.”

Bis started to cry harder at this point.

I felt my knees to know whether I can stand. When I found out that I could, I went in front of them and sat there.

“What’s up?” I inquired Joseph.

“His friend, Nizam, he was taken out of prison a while ago,” Joseph answered. “Oh right, John, this is Bis, I met him here in prison a few days ago. Bis, this is John, also coming from the house I used to serve.”

“It’s nice to meet you, Bis,” I told him, but he still won’t stop crying. As of now, we still couldn’t talk to him properly so I got back to talking to Joseph.

“That’s good, isn’t it? His friend was able to get out. What’s the problem, then?” I pressed on.

“John,” Joseph said in a low tone, “that’s not the reason why Nizam got out. Some soldiers took him to the Pharaoh’s palace a while ago and there, his head will be raised and his body will be fed to the birds.”

Bis’ crying got louder at this. I was taken aback by what Joseph said. ‘His head will be raised’? I feel like I know this phrase from long ago. I then suddenly remembered that I did read about this. I bet Joseph was talking about the baker who was executed by the Pharaoh, and Bis was the Pharaoh’s chief butler. If so, these two friends had their premonition dreams a few days ago. I’m a bit late in arriving in jail since I was unable to meet Nizam anymore, but I then thought that it might be wrong for me to have the desire to be brought to prison sooner than I was actually brought here just to meet Nizam before the day he is to be executed. But if Yuyagahor won’t be successful in what he’s up to, I guess Nizam and I will share the same fate.

But if what I’m thinking is right, this will also be the day when Bis would be able to get out, not to be executed, but to be given a full pardon and to resume his work under the Pharaoh. I just have to keep my mouth shut because I might accidentally blurt out what’ll happen next.

Bis still didn’t stop crying at this point. “Bis, that’s enough,” Joseph said. “This won’t do you any good at all.”

I looked at Bis and he looked like he’s already out of breath because of all the sobbing.

“Joseph’s right,” I said. “Maybe if we talk about each of our own problems, maybe we’ll feel a bit better, and maybe someone among us can give the other some advice, right?”

I’m actually surprised by myself because even if I’m dead scared about what’ll possibly happen to me, here I am, trying to calm someone else down. If you think about it, it does help to talk things out instead of sulking in a corner and wallow in your own problems by yourself.