Chapter 19: Orloff

"Alana, this is not the time to be making jokes, you know. What is really happening?" I asked.

I don't want to believe what she just said, especially because it's about something serious. Who in the right mind would make me a Governor of Egypt? Besides, what do I know in running a kingdom? Dad might be the one who would know such things because he's a lawyer, but even he chose to stay out of politics.

"John, I'm not joking," Alana answered. "The Pharaoh himself said it and the Pharaoh never jokes about anything."

I just stared at Alana while we followed the soldier, still at a loss of what to say. To tell you the truth, I don't know how to react because I feel like my brain has been finely ground because of the previous events.

"There's no need to worry," Alana continued. "I know you can handle being a Governor of Egypt. I have faith in you."

"Uh, okay, if you say so," I answered. "Where are we going again?"

Alana answered, "We're going to the place where we'll meet your right-hand man, which will also be your adviser."

"Really?" I said in a flat tone. "Do you know who that person is?"

"No, I don't," she replied. "It's the first time I'll see him, too."

We dropped by the barber for a little while because they needed to shave my head. Egyptians believe that excess body hair is shameful and unclean. I could say that the breeze touching my scalp is a good feeling and I wouldn't need to worry about dandruff anymore, but I couldn't help but miss my old hair, which I think already reached my shoulders.

"Suits you," Alana joked.

"I know, right?" I replied playfully.

Two servants met us on our way out of the barber's place. They were carrying a set of clothes similar to Joseph's.

"The Pharaoh requests you to wear these clothes before you meet your right-hand man," one of them mentioned.

I wore the clothes they gave me because it's been a long time since I wore something decent on my upper body during my stay in this dimension. Nevertheless...

"I think this headdress is too big," I complained. "I could barely see a thing with this blocking my face."

Alana just pointed at my cheek where the large scar could be found so I just nodded. When you think about it, everyone would be alarmed to see such a huge scar.

We arrived at a palace a little bit smaller than the Pharaoh's. As soon as we entered, we were met by several soldiers (around twenty or thirty) waiting for us. And in front of them is...

"Greetings, Lord Eiri-Nephthis," he greeted using his booming voice. "I am Yuyagahor, your right-hand man, at your service!"

"Eh..?"

No one can see my face fully because of my headdress, but no one knows that I'm smiling widely when I found out that it was Yuyagahor who will be my right-hand man. If I could remember, I've last seen Yuyagahor in prison before I met Alana. But despite the very long period of time that passed, I couldn't see any changes from him: he still looks like a large bear with yellow fur.

I turned to Alana and saw that she's also smiling slightly, but maybe it's because of how Yuyagahor acted just now. I just put my gaze back to Yuyagahor when he spoke again.

"Lord Eiri-Nephthis!" he called loudly. "All of my troops are ready for battle and will serve you in any way you wish!"

"W-what?"

I was extremely surprised with what he said. It's enough for me to have a right-hand man, but having my own personal army seems to be a bit too much.