Chapter 17: Confessions of an Interdimensional Traveler

I've already lost count on how much time has passed after that incident on top of that cliff. I have to say... around a year or two? I'm really not sure. But at that timespan, there are a few changes that took place since then.

First, just like Alana promised me, she doesn't bind my arms everytime we go out of the house anymore. I'd have to say that work has become easier this way and I may have picked up speed in running.

Second, Alana doesn't go out as often as she used to. A few months ago, Alana and Potiphera let me come with them to Greece to visit Asenath. There, I saw countless books in her possession. She also said that she's nearing the completion of her studies. It might be because of this that Alana can be found in her personal library more often. I often accompany her there and I also manage to read a few books. Believe it or not, I didn't expect that I would understand what were written in those books while I know for a fact that those weren't written in regular alphabet. I also learned a lot of things.

Before I forget, all of my wounds all over my body have finally healed, but the one on my cheek has left a very visible scar that can be seen from across the desert. At first sight, you might think that I'm a warrior and I have won many battles, but in fact, this is due to a thin cord. Add in my necklace that's given to me by Grandpa that earned me the reputation of killing an assassin before I even set foot in Egypt, and you might consider me as the most dangerous man in all of Egypt. Good thing no one really sees me so this didn't happen and I just left this notion behind.

Starting the day since Alana tried to take her own life, Potiphera also didn't accept any suitors unless Alana really likes them. Potiphera took everything Alana told him by heart that only she would be able to choose the man she will marry. I was also able to breathe properly at this, because even I wouldn't want to get married to a woman I don't love. You could already say that you took a large rock to strike yourself on the head if you did.

What's better is that Alana can already walk properly. She already left her crutch and all she needs now is a cane. My technique worked quite well on her.

I can't deny that I have fallen for her already. Let's say that I'm not really a romantic kind of guy, but this still happened to me. But I think Alana would find it easy to turn down someone like me. I'm just a simple servant and I couldn't possibly reach her level in my situation. You know the meaning of the word 'asymptote?' I can only go so far, but no further.

And let's say, on the very slim chance, that she also falls for me, I wouldn't want to imagine how and until when she would become the subject of gossips and ridicule.

But the most important thing that I shouldn't have forgotten the first time I fell for her is the fact that I'm not from this dimension. The time will come when I would need to leave this dimension, and that includes Alana, too. I don't want to expect Alana to love me back while I know that it shouldn't be. And even if I could do it, I don't want to expect that our relationship would last. It's okay if it were only me who would be hurt, but I don't want her to be hurt also.

I have therefore decided to disclose everything to Alana; that I didn't really lose my memories; that I have been hiding many things that others shouldn't know about; that I have broken her trust because of these things; everything. I don't know how she would react to what I tell her later, but it would be better if she gets mad, even if she sends me a flurry of slaps on the face, than me suffering with my conscience bothering me.

Alana won't be going out today. It should mean that I can find her in her personal library, probably reading a book previously finished by her elder sister. I arrived in front of the library. I knocked on the door and as expected, I heard her sweet voice.

"It's open," she called.

I opened the door and saw Alana, as I expected, busy reading a book. The difference is that her face wasn't really that serious. It's as if she's reading a novel and she's really enjoying it.