Q and A with J.L.M. Rabaya

Q: What was your inspiration to write this story?

A: When I was still a little boy, I always liked to read stories and watch television programs or movies. Oftentimes, after reading, I would imagine what could happen if I were one of the characters in the stories I have read of watched. I may not be a fan of Hiraya Manawari and Bayani, programs in ABS-CBN back in the day, I was always fascinated in the idea of entering stories and the possibility of altering the events with a single action, no matter how small.

Q: You're a medical student. How can you still write stories when the life of a medical student is already hectic?

A: Compared to Ramon, I would say that I could easily accept the fact that I couldn't do something. If I already know that I couldn't finish studying for a lesson for an exam, I wouldn't really bother finishing it and I would just rest. And I'm able to rest (and also lash out) by writing events that I made up in my mind.

Q: Was Ramon's story based from your life?

A: I would say 'yes,' but I've made a lot of differences between his life and mine. First, he has an older brother whom he can have funny moments with, while I, on the other hand, am an only child. I'm also somewhat an optimist, while Ramon is more of a pessimist, but this might be because he likes reading Lemony Snicket's works while I often read works by J.K. Rowling.

Q: We didn't get enough content with Ramon's family. Would we be able to get to know them better, especially Chuck?

A: I admit that Ramon's family and even the persons who belong to the real world weren't really that thought out. As of now, I'm still looking for ways to provide content regarding these characters. In the case of Chuck, I think you wouldn't have to wait long. In the sequel of The Wise Slave, we shall see more of the actions of Ramon's older brother.

Q: If you were given the chance, which book or movie would you want to enter and why?

A:If it were up to me, I'd really want to enter Guyton or Snell (books for ourfirst year in Medicine) so as to improve my grades. Kidding aside, I'd like toenter some history books and some fairy tales, not to get involved in any way,but just to see what really happened there, and also to check out how the minorcharacters feel.