Chapter NINE.

Knock knock? 8-) my people? How una dey? Hope you haven't forgotten your girl? Please don't oo(begging with tears in my eyes) I wish I could be dropping chapters twice a day but our light is not stable here hence my inability to update new chapters quickly.
But I promise to try my best. And I want to thank everyone of you that has committed to my book, I know it's not easy, as you all have many reading lists and books to read but you still take out your time for my book. God bless you all
This chapter is dedicated to each and every one of you.
Enjoy.

..................................

*sola*

I flipped the chicken lap over, checking thoroughly if it was fried enough. It was Saturday. I was supposed to go for an ushering job but the woman who ran the ushering agency had called me this morning to terminate my job because her ushers were already fully booked.

I was sad because I had hoped to Make enough money to last me the month and because Mrs obi who I worked for as a part-time cleaner wasn't in town for a while. But I had to look on the bright side, that would give me the opportunity to clean the whole house and some laundry.

I thought about Clara and how she had been giving me the cold shoulder throughout the whole week. She didn't come home last night and she still hadn't arrived all morning. I had tried to call her line but it was switched off.

This wasn't the first time Clara went off on a Friday night to have fun but I was feeling worried because I knew things weren't good or rosy between the two of us.

I finished frying the proteins and dipped them into the stew, rice and stew with fried plantain. One of my favorite foods.

This was my mom's favorite food. She had started teaching me how to make rice and stew when I was 8 years old. I remember loving every moment that I spent in the kitchen with my mother. I would always cherish those times.

I was snapped out of my thoughts by the sound of my phone, ringing. I dropped my spoon and ran into the living room, on the table where I had dropped my phone.
My stomach did that flip flop thing immediately I realized who was calling.

"Hi," I said in a tiny, shy voice.

"Hi, sugar" Alex said. His voice sounded thicker but I think it was because we were talking on the phone. I felt my cheeks heat up in mortification as I realized I had missed him a lot even though we had spoken on the phone last night.

"Um... Is there a reason why you called?" I asked.

"I can't speak with my girlfriend anytime I wish to? I'm hurt Sola" I heard his mocking tone and I had the feeling he was smirking at me from the other side.

"I'm not your girlfriend, Alex. We're just friends. I told you that's how I want it to be."

There was silence from the other side.
"I just arrived last night, and I want to see you today, sugar"
My heart sped up in anticipation. Then I remembered Clara.

"I wish I could...."

"I'll come pick you up."

"Wait.. Alex.. But"

"No buts. I know where you stay. I'll come by in the next one hour, see you soon sugar"

"But.." the line went dead.
"He wasn't even listening to me!" I shouted in frustration.

"Urgh! Men and their arrogance ehn" I said to myself as I went ahead to continue my activity.

...................................

*Alex*

Exactly an hour later, I was standing in front of sola's home. A small space for two grown ladies because I knew she was staying with her bratty friend, Laura or whatever her name was.