Chapter 15: Nothing Good Starts In A Getaway Car

'That's classified. Not unlike the file I started on you.' He looked between us both as he walked from behind the counter. The other guy looked at Fury confused, not knowing what was going on here. But he walked off quickly when Fury gave him a look, probably not wanting to do anything with this. Vers turned so her whole body was now towards the man and looked at him expectantly. 

'But I see you've changed it up a bit since then. Grunge is a good look for you', he gestured to our outfits. I had no idea what Grunge was, but it seemed to be some sort of fashion style here. On Hala, I never had to worry about clothing. Everyone wore the same Starforce assigned clothes, simple and plain. 

'Did you have a rough day, Agent Fury?', Vers taunted him with a small smile on her lips. 

'It's cool', Agent Fury answered casually while he walked along the bar, me and Vers following his every move. 'You know, space invasion, big car chase, got to watch an alien autopsy', he put extra emphasis on the word alien. 'Typical nine to five', he shrugged. He acted like it wasn't a big deal, but I knew it was to him.

'So you saw one?', I asked curiously. I don't know where or how he had found one and apparently killed it, but it was one less Skrull for us to worry about. 

He leaned on the bar when he answered me. 'I was never one to believe in aliens. But I can't unsee that', he said, shaking his head in disbelief.

Beside me, Vers squinted her eyes and looked at him. 'This is gonna get a little awkward, but I gotta ask.' Knowing what she meant and how she was probably planning on doing this, I laughed at her words and the face Fury made when he realized she was going to force him to answer some questions. 

'You think I'm one of those green things?', he said indignantly, pointing his finger to his chest with his eyebrows raised.

'Can't be too careful', I joined in on the joke innocently. Fury looked back and forth between us, like he expected one of us to crack and tell him that we were just joking. But even though the way we said it was lighthearted, we did need to question him. We couldn't risk giving a Skrull more information.

But Fury really didn't want to be questioned and tried to convince us once again. 'You are looking at a hundred percent red-blooded Earthman.' He walked closer and sat on the pool table. He had a big gash above his left eye that wasn't there before, so I guessed the Skrull didn't go down easy. 

Vers walked over to the table and stood in front of him. 'I'm afraid we are going to need proof.' I nodded when Fury looked over her shoulder to me, as if I was going to back him up. 

He turned his attention back to the woman in front of him when he saw I wasn't gonna be much help. 'Are we talking cheek swab or urine sample?', he asked curiously.

But Vers already shook her head at the word 'cheek'. 'No, the DNA would match.'

'Want my AOL password?' I had no idea what an AOL was so no, that wouldn't do either. We needed to get personal and Fury seemed to finally understand that when Vers spoke again. 

'Skrulls can only sim recent memories of their host bodies.' And there it was. The little light in Fury's brain went on and he understood what she meant to say. And he did not look too happy. Scoffing, he exclaimed, 'Oh, oh! You wanna get personal', he swayed his finger to her. She smirked, knowing she finally got him where she wanted and gestured to a table for him to sit down. 

He reluctantly did so and Vers and I sat in front of him. Asking questions alternately.

'Where were you born?', Vers started. She took this very seriously and sat up straight in her chair, analyzing every move the man made.