Chapter 18: Never Be The Same

After my tears had finally stopped, it was time to talk to Yon-Rogg again. With all this new information we had found, it was time to confront him and see if he knew anything or not. 

Vers had seen a phone in the hallway, pressed in a little corner, so she pulled out the equipment from the phone at the Blockbuster and plugged it in. After a little wiggling and messing with the cords, the phone connected. I would have to ask her how she knew how to do that, programming the phone so it reached galaxies lightyears away, but that was something for later.

Holding the thing to her ear, she didn't even say hello when Yon was contacted. Just got whatever she wanted to say off her chest immediately, no beating around the bush. 'I know Lawson was Kree. She was here on C-53 and died in a plane crash. Do you know anything about this?' 

Man, I wish I could see his face right now. I would know immediately if he were lying. 

'I just discovered a mission report sent from C-53.' Sure, he just discovered it. What a big coincedence. 'There is only so much I am cleared to tell you, Vers, but-'  There was some rustling, like he was deciding whether to tell us anything. 'Lawson was an undercover Kree operative named Mar-Vell. She was working on a unique energy core. Experimenting with tech that apparently could help us win the war.' Always that damn war. It was everything the Kree cared about, even now. Even when one of their own apparently died fighting for the cause. 

Vers had tears in her eyes ever since she heard his voice. She tried to hide it well, but the shock of finding out she had a life here and had lost the person she admired most in her life at the same time, was really hard on her. So taking her free hand in my own, I gave it a little squeeze.

'Does it say anything about me?' Her eyes looked into my own as she talked to Yon, maybe to find support in them, I don't know. 

'Anything about you?', the man on the other side of the line asked confused. 'No of course not. Why would it?' The words came out a little too fast for my liking and my gut feeling told me he was lying. But without seeing his face, there was no way to be certain.

'I found evidence that I had a life here.' The words came out slowly, as if she had to concentrate on making them sound normal and not broken. But even though her voice may sound normal to Yon, her whole body told me something different. She had no idea about anything anymore.

'On C-53?' I rolled my eyes when he said that. No on Mars, yes on C-53 where else? He was stalling, deciding what to say.

'Mar-Vell is who I see when I visit the Supreme Intelligence. I knew her. And I knew her as Lawson.' Her voice started out vulnerable, but became harder at the end of her sentence, as if she was angry that he didn't believe her. She blinked furiously, trying to keep the tears from falling out.

'This sounds like Skrull simulation Vers', Yon tried to reason with her. If he knew the truth about her past, it would be logical to try to get her to change her mind so she wouldn't find out the truth. His words sounded like he wanted them to push them in her head, forcing her to believe them.

But Vers knew when she was being manipulated and got even more angry that he didn't listen to her. 'No it's not! Because I remember, I was here.' She sounded so sure and her words were really steady now, any sign of sadness lost.

'Stop! Remember your training. Know your enemy. It could be you. Do not let your emotions override your judgment.' Now it seemed he finally got through to her, because she closed her eyes, took in a deep breath and nodded her head, trying to calm herself down. Even if she had every right to be mad, Yon was right. We couldn't let our emotions override our objective view on this. We had to look at this calmly.