Chapter 13: Trouble In Town

'Ehm, V?', I said to her, looking at the cars that had just sped up to us. Following my line of sight, she sighed. It she thought the same thing I did. Turning back, focusing on activating her beacon for Yon, I watched the men carefully, making sure they were no threat. 

One man in a nice suit and sunglasses on his face got out and walked to the front of 'Blockbuster', we crashed into. Standing in front of it, studying the broken window, he then turned around and walked to the guy in the car Vers talked to an hour ago. 

He seemed to ask him something, because the guy pointed to where we were standing. Suit-guy then got his colleague, also in a suit, and made their way over to us. 

While the short one stopped in front of me, the taller, dark-skinned man knocked on the glass of the phonebooth to get Vers' attention. Her head first went up from her arm and then she turned around slowly with one eyebrow raised, wanting to know what he wanted from her. 

'Excuse me Miss, do you know anything about two ladies who went through the roof of that Blockbuster over there?', he asked her nicely, pointing to the building. 'Witness say she was dressed for laser tag.' I had no idea what that was, but it sounded like he depreciated our Starforce suits.

'Oh', Vers said, looking around. Pretending to have no idea what he was talking about and thinking if she had seen these women. 'Yeah I think they went that way', she said quickly, looking over the man's shoulder, and tried to walk towards me. But the man stepped in front of her, blocking her way. I didn't like the fact that he tried to intimidate her, so I came to stand next to her, the short suit-guy following me as I did. 

'Ah, I'd like to ask you some questions. Maybe give you the 4-1-1 on late night drop-box.' I had no single clue what he meant with that. Also, the fact that he still ignored me and only talked to Vers annoyed me. 

He held up a badge with his name and some weird logo on it. Like that somehow had to make sense to us and make him look more trustworthy. Vers also didn't look impressed with it, her eyebrow still raised. 'Could I see some identification please?', the man called Fury asked. And for the first time, he also looked at me. 

'Commander Aayala. Kree Starforce', I answered him arrogantly. And he turned his head to look at me, studying my face. 'Vers. Also Kree Starforce', she added, nodding her head to me. The man turned his gaze back to her. 'We don't carry our identification on little cards', she announced sarcastically and tried walking off again. But Fury just didn't want to let us go. 

'Commander Aayala. Vers. Starforce', he said almost mockingly, having a hard time believing our story. 'How long are you planning on being in town?' He looked back and forth between us, but Vers answered. She has always been a people-person, I wasn't. So I let her deal with him. 

'Oh, we'll be out of your hair as soon as we track down the Skrulls that are infiltrating your planet', she said matter-of-factly, hoping to get some sort of reaction out of him. And she did.

He laughed. 'Skrulls?', he said unbelievably, like everything we said was made up. 

Vers just looked like she couldn't believe these people didn't know of Skrulls and tried to maybe freshen up the man's memory by reminding him what Skrulls were. 'Shape-shifters?', Fury started smiling at that, like she was joking. 'They can transform into any lifeform down to the DNA?' He looked back at his colleague, laughing and trying to figure out if we were kidding. 

'Oh boy', Vers said when she saw their interaction, 'You guys don't have any clue, do you?'

'I told you', I teased her. Referring to the fact that the people of Earth had no idea of alien life. She stuck her tongue out at me and tried to walk around Fury again. These people were clearly not going to be of any help and we had no time to lose if we wanted to find Lawson before Yon-Rogg arrived.