Chapter 11: Hallucinate

The Accusers' ships overtook us and started bombing Skrull strongholds on Torfa. It hurt to see the beautiful planet destroyed, but Yon-Rogg didn't seem to feel the same way. Quite the opposite actually. His eyes shined and he looked more than ready to kill some Skrulls. 

I wanted to glance behind me and see what look Vers had on her face, but something told me she felt the same way as me. Her compassion for other people was going to be her downfall one day, but I loved that trait of hers. 

Yon followed the bombs down and crashed the ship into the water. That way, we were hoping to go unnoticed by the Skrulls. 

Activating my breathing mask, I unbuckled from my seat and made my way over to the doors, following Yon. Taking a look around, everyone was focused and ready to go. Maybe I had been wrong about the team.

Launching ourselves through the water to the shore, we quietly made our way onto the beach. The thick smoke-filled air hit my face when my mask retracted. I wished I could keep it on, but it restricted my sight and hearing, making it dangerous on land. 

Yon-Rogg instructed his team quietly. 'Vers, track Soh-Larr's beacon. Att-Lass and Minn-Erva, find elevation.' It were exactly the same instructions I would have given my team. Minn-Erva was one of Hala's best snipers, so she would be on lookout and cover us from above. Att-Lass would do the same, covering her in the process. 

Vers looked at her Com, following the beacon as she walked. I watched her back, making sure nobody attacked her from behind. 

We slowly made our way over to the stronghold. Everything seemed to be fine when we passed pillars of stone and mountains. It almost felt too easy, making me be on edge. My priority this mission wasn't to protect myself, it was to protect the woman in front of me. This is also why I didn't want her on my team. We would want to protect each other before ourselves. Making it even more dangerous.

We walked further when suddenly, our earpieces started making a lot of static noise. We could make out Minn-Erva's voice, but it wasn't clear what she was saying. The Skrulls must be intercepting our signal somehow, because this had never happened before. I looked at Yon worryingly. 'Minn-Erva?', he asked in his ear quietly. More static noise followed. 'Repeat', Yon tried to fix the problem but it looked like we were on our own. 

Meanwhile, Vers didn't seem too worried about the situation and kept following her Com to a bridge. She was way too exposed for my liking, so when I reached her, I pulled her down with me, crouching behind some big rocks on one side of the bridge's walkway. 'His beacon is coming from that temple', she said, gesturing to the temple on the other side of the bridge. For us to reach it and thus save Soh-Larr, we had to cross it. 'Let's move', she added, eager to save her fellow soldier. 

'No. This is the perfect spot for an ambush. Only one way in, only one way out', I said to her and Yon, who sat across from us, but mostly to her. He nodded when I said that. Even he knew this was too risky. 

The man with the beard who hadn't said anything until now, added 'And we have to pass the locals.' Even with connections to Minn-Erva and Att-Lass, this was dangerous.

'We don't know if they are locals. Too risky', Yon said. Referring to the shapeshifting the Skrulls can do. I was glad everyone agreed with me and didn't want to send Vers into the line of fire. But I knew she was stubborn and she always wanted to prove someone wrong. So I was not surprised when she offered to go alone. 'You don't have to go with me', she said to Yon, acting as if he was too scared to go. 'I'll go alone'.

I groaned at her heroics. 'No! You won't', I said sternly. She was not going over that bridge.

But Yon assessed his surroundings and saw that this was the only way to get to Soh-Larr fast. We had no time to find another way to the temple. This bridge was our only hope. I shook my head at him, as a way of saying that we had to abort mission, but he ignored me and looked at Vers.