Chapter 10: No Time To Die

'I need to go', I whispered in her ear where she was hugging me very tightly.

'Nooo', she whined softly and she hugged me even tighter if that was possible. 

I laughed, I didn't want to go, but I had to. I had already stayed longer than I should have and I really needed to go back to my own room. 

'I'm sorry. I will be back next week. For sure.' I kissed her forehead and she reluctantly let go of me. She tried to hide how tired she was, but her eyes kept closing on their own. She needed sleep as much as I did. 

I carefully lifted the covers of me, trying to keep the warmth under for her, and sat on the egde of the bed. 

I was very cold in her room. It was cold everywhere in HQ. It was such a big building that heating everything would be pointless and extremely expensive. Besides, the winters here on Hala were short, so most days of the year we didn't need heaters.

I shivered, but the reason for that may also be the hand that ran over my bare back. I heard a muffled laugh behind me and I knew she was teasing me again. She knew the effect she had on me and she loved proving it to herself. 'You are a real pain in the ass, you know that right?', I nudged her.

'I know,' she said into her pillow, 'But you love me anyway.' She sounded very sure of herself.

'Are you sure?' I couldn't help but tease her. She acted like she hated it when I teased her, but I think she silently liked it. 

My question earned me a soft whack on my arm. 'Get out', she said, trying to fake anger. I laughed again, picking my clothes off the floor and putting them back on. 

I still remember the first time I ever saw her naked. I think it was after about a year of dating. I was stunned that this beautiful woman was all mine and she wanted me to be hers. She had blushed when she saw me staring, but that just made it even better. My hands were shaking and my heart was pounding in my ears, but I had nothing to be nervous about. She had made me feel safe and made all my nerves go away quickly. 

We both felt that the physical stuff wasn't the most important part of our relationship, so most of the nights, we just talked or enjoyed each other's company. 

When I was fully clothed, I bowed down and kissed her forehead again, the only part of her head that was visible above the covers, and I muttered a 'goodnight'. When I didn't get a reaction, I knew she had already fallen asleep. So I quietly made my way out of her room, checking the hallway to see if nobody was there, and made sure the door closed behind me. 

HQ was quiet when I made my way to my own apartment. I only ran into three people and they were too focused on their Com's to see me. 

So I reached my door safely and quickly got into bed. I had an early shift tomorrow, so I needed the sleep. 

~~~~~~

After my workout, I arrived in the Commander's offices precisely on time to start my day. There were no new missions for me, so I helped other Commanders with strategies and problems they had. While I was looking through the mission schedule for today, I saw that Yon and his team were going on a mission to save a Kree spy named Soh-Larr. I froze when I saw his name. He was one of the people who trained me when I first came here, and he had been very kind to me. Besides Jaa-Nus, he was probably my closest friend here. If they were going to save him, I needed to be there.

I discussed this with the other Commanders and they agreed with me. Soh-Larr had gained a lot of information during his three years undercover. We needed that information, so he was a high priority.