Chapter 73 - The Past and the Future

Gangs Aren't My Style

Book I of the Black Death Trilogy

PART FOUR :: Leave The Front Line Behind

Chapter 73 - The Past and The Future

Ally fingered the hem of the scratchy blue blanket covering her, absentmindedly flicking through the channels on the TV. Shivering in the cool breeze blowing from the air vent above her, she drew her knees up and wrapped her arms around herself as her head dropped to rest on her kneecaps.

Having found a channel playing that day's hit music videos, Ally finally dropped the remote onto the bed beside her. Staring inattentively at the screen mounted on the wall while the soft strumming of a guitar flowed through the room, she let her mind wander.

Fingering the metal bracelet locked around her wrist that she'd almost forgotten about while dealing with everything else, Ally wondered what her brother was doing. Would he be checking the location of the GPS locator and storming into the hospital to break her out? Was he injured and lying unconscious along a road somewhere?

Ally closed her eyes and took in a deep breath. Even with the worried thoughts running through her mind, she couldn't help but be mad at her brother for keeping her locked away inside the gang base by enhancing the security and fastening the metal tracker to her wrist. In a way, the bracelet reminded her of the cuffs that the doctors had used to keep her immobile and contained. Glancing around the room she had been moved to, Ally sent a silent thank you to Trenton in her mind. The ordinary hospital room she had been relocated to only a few hours after he left lacked the restraints the old room had contained, the only precaution remaining being that the door was kept locked from the outside. Also, the room came equipped with a TV, an attached bathroom, and a blue border to accent the colorless walls and save her from drowning in a sea of white.

Her hand rose unconsciously to touch the locket she kept clasped around her neck so that she could twist the thin chain between her fingers -as she had begun to do when she was thinking- but found her collarbone to be bare. Panic began to well up within her as she thought of having lost her only remaining connection to the love of her life since she had pushed him away. Looking around frantically, Ally could spot the small, heart-shaped locket nowhere. What if she had lost it in the crash?

Suddenly there was a knock on the door and Ally quickly responded, "Come in," while her eyes continued to flitter over the minuscule furnishings that had been placed in the room.

A nurse carefully entered the room, balancing the tray she was carrying on one hand while she used the other to close the door behind her. Ally smiled at the friendly nurse, unfolding herself and moving to lay back against the elevated headboard so that she could swing the attached stand over her lap and place the tray on it. "Thanks Rosa," Ally thanked her politely, pulling the tray slightly closer and inspecting what was on the menu today.

"You're very welcome dear," the nurse returned with her own smile. "Is there anything else you need?"

"Um, actually, yes there is. Have you seen a gold, heart-shaped locket around here anywhere? I can't find it and the last time I remember having it on was before the car wreck."

"Well if it was still on you when you were brought here, it should be at the front desk and will be returned to you along with your other personal items when you're released or someone else picks them up for you."

"Oh," Ally replied, disheartened but grateful for her help none-the-less.

"Well, can I get you anything else while I'm here?"

"No, but thank you."

"Well in that case I will be back in time for supper to check on you and bring you your next meal. Just press the button if you need me."