Chapter 50 - The Balm that Covers All Wounds

Gangs Aren't My Style

Book I of the Black Death Trilogy

PART THREE :: Cast Your Armor Down

Chapter 50 - The Balm That Covers All Wounds

The feel of arms wrapped around her body, holding her up, made Ally stir from the black haze she had been stuck in. Her eyes slowly fluttered open, her eyesight fuzzy from the drug induced sleep she had just awoken from. She began to panic, her body stiffening as she lifted her limp hands from her stomach and pushed against the unknown chest that she was cradled against. Her heart beat sped up until she was sure anyone could hear it as she started breathing heavy, the arms tightening around her. One punishing realization pushed to the forefront of her mind, silencing all other thought. She had been captured.

"Ally, you're safe, calm down. You're alright," Kyle's soothing voice reassured her. Safe. She was safe. Her muscles began to slowly relax one at a time until she fell limp into his arms once again. She pressed her head into his chest, letting out tears of remorse and disappointment.

She had failed; her brother had found her again. Soverage could've just as easily had her, all that made the difference was who that man had called. But the worst part was that she saw no way to take down Black Death while being trapped inside. She owed at least that much to the pregnant woman who had been murdered during an unfortunate gang initiation. She owed that to each and every person that her brother's gang had hurt through the years.

"It's going to be okay," Kyle comforted, leaning his head down to place a small kiss to the top of her head.

The action was meant to reassure her but it just made her cry harder. He was clueless as to the direction her thoughts had taken, he didn't get it.

Kyle stared down at her, his eyes gentle and reassuring, but even he could do nothing to help her comfort her in this. His fingers made contact with her cheek, gently brushing the tears off her face. Then, he drew his hand back as if he only just realizing what had he had done. He looked down at the bed in discomfort. "I'm sorry."

Ally tried to reassure him but could force no words past her parched lips.

He stood then, and she weakly reached one hand to grab his arm. "Please stay." The words were scratchy and nearly inaudible but still she managed to speak them in her desperation for him to stay.

He halted, his head turning back to her as he studied her. Whatever he found in her eyes seemed to appease his uncertainties and in the next moment he was walking to the opposite side of the bed from where she was, climbing on cautiously.

"I have to check in with your brother but I will stay here until you fall asleep and come back once I'm done, okay?" Kyle asked, turning her to her side and pulling her into his arms slowly, his moves still cautious as he tried to gauge her reaction.

Ally nodded, not caring how weak or desperate the action might make her look. She had been without him for almost five years and at that moment she only wanted to accept the comfort he offered.

Closing her eyes, she relaxed into his arms. Soon, her breathing evened out and she slipped into unconsciousness.

Sunlight streaming through the window woke her up the next morning, burning into her skin. Ally tried to turn over and get out of the sun but found something was restraining her. She opened her eyes, lifting her head to find herself staring at a man's bare chest. Panic gripped her. His arm was around her waist and her legs were tangled in his.

She swiftly pulled back from his arms and roughly pushed the offending limbs away from her. However, in her haste, she lost her balance on the narrow bed and fell ungracefully onto the floor. Scrambling to her feet, Ally ran to the door, but when she tried to turn the doorknob, it remained immobile under her panicked grip.

"It's locked," a sleepy voice called from behind her.

Ally jumped, not recognizing the voice as fear colored her vision red. Then, the man stood up from the bed. "Stay away from me!"

The man ignored her and kept approaching, causing her to look around frantically for a way of escape. Seeing no other option and the man constantly getting closer, Ally bolted towards the attached bathroom at the side of the room, knowing it would at least get her away from him.

Just as she was about to go through the doorway, a hand wrapped around her arm, using her momentum to pull her around. She went flying into the man's chest, fighting to regain her balance from the impact. The man wrapped his arms around her, sufficiently securing her arms to her sides and keeping her too close to kick him.

"Calm down Ally, it's just me," the man soothed, his voice still ringing in her mind as if the gears were attempting to figure out who this man was but too stressed out to pull the pieces together.

She tried to pull back so she could look at his face but he tightened his grip, thinking she was trying to get away from him again. "Ally, it's Kyle. Calm down and relax, you're safe here."

She froze, memories from the previous night washing over her as her state of panic dissolved. She had asked him to stay.

His grip loosened when he noticed that she wasn't fighting anymore, allowing her to quickly glance up at his face.

"Sorry." She knew the response was lame but could think of nothing else so say that would excuse her actions.

"It's okay," he replied softly, pulling her back to him with gentle arms and running his hand up her back comfortingly. "Everything will be okay."

But it wouldn't. And with regret, Ally pushed him away. It was better that way. If he found out the truth of what had happened during the four years she was away, he would reject her. This way, she was keeping herself from falling too hard for him before he could push her away in disgust. This way, she could safeguard her heart.