Chapter 28 - Between Enemy Lines

Gangs Aren't My Style

Book I of the Black Death Trilogy

PART TWO: Memories That Don't Seem To Fade

Chapter 28 - Between Enemy Lines

Seven days later, the tires of James' small, black sports car skidded across the damp pavement of the abandoned parking lot as he stopped with a reckless maneuver that matched his mood. Despite the olive branch that Soverage had extended to him, the furious gang leader could summon no pleasantries when dealing with the man who had assumably killed his second in command in cold blood. He was not happy about the arranged meeting between him and Soverage and he would not pretend otherwise.

"I got your invitation," James began sarcastically, slamming the car door behind him.

"I'm glad," Soverage replied easily, leaning against his own car with an easy stance.

James scoffed at his relaxed appearance. "Do you realize that I could easily shoot and kill you right here, right now? There's nothing stopping me, there would be no love lost to a worthless slime like you."

Soverage was not so easily provoked to anger. "Then why haven't you?"

There was no answer.

"Exactly," Soverage continued with satisfaction. "You won't kill me while there is still even a remote chance that Daniil could be alive. You need me." He paused. "But I don't need you."

Suddenly, a bright, red dot lights up on James' chest, just over his heart. James looks up at his rival, unimpressed. "So I take it that you still have that little dog of yours on sniper? What was his name, Amir?"

"Make fun all you wish but he will not hesitate to shoot you."

"It's too bad then that neither will mine." Another, identical red dot suddenly flashed onto Soverage's chest.

The man was unfazed. "This is your last chance to get out. Forget about Daniil, forget about capturing me, and walk away now if you wish to protect yourself, your men, and your family.

"You know I cannot do that."

Soverage nodded, reluctantly consenting that he would have done the same if he were in James' place. "Then this day you have surely signed the death certificates of all those you care about."

"So be it."

James knew the costs of such a decision but he refused to fear death. He refused to sit back as his arch nemesis rained destruction down on his life and his gang. He refused to do nothing.

Soverage eyed James with distaste as he turned, motioning for his gunman to lower his weapon. James turned as well and walked away, understanding the unspoken truce that they would respect each other this once but the next time they met, guns would be blazing.

Damon also understood this, although faintly, and lowered his own sniper rifle with a scowl as both rebel and gang leader slid back into their cars and drove away into the night. However, he was unsettled by the threats to his leader's family and decided there that, come the next morning, he would take more of an interest in James' sister. Something inside of him seemed to whisper that it was his duty to protect her when James himself could not. As friends, it was the least he could do.