Chapter 85 - Stolen Away

Gangs Aren't My Style

Book I of the Black Death Trilogy

PART FOUR :: Leave The Front Line Behind

Chapter 85 - Stolen Away

Ally's breath made small clouds of vapor appear in the cold air, barely visible in the near darkness. The bright lights set high on the guard towers did little to reach the far recesses of the moonless night, only illuminating the passing shadows of patrolling guards. She carefully counted under her breath, the numbing cold sharpening her mind even though she hadn't moved in over two hours. In only two minutes, the guards would switch again and she would have only a twenty second window to get to the guard tower.

She raised her hands to her lips, gently blowing warm air across the chilled skin, and rubbed them together. The friction between her palms sent a small pool of warmth through her fingers, waking them from their dormant state of disuse. The blood beginning to flow back into her fingertips, Ally grabbed the wire cutters from the black pouch strapped to her waist and thigh, standing to her feet. She groaned aloud as her bones were forced to unfold themselves, the joints in her knees aching with the movement.

Noticing the patrolling security guard disappear up into the guard tower to relieve the posted watchout, Ally quickly moved from her hiding spot. Hurrying across the yard while both guards were looking away from the surrounding area, she pressed her back to the half of the tower that jutted out from the long line of fencing that enclosed the prison. Her breathing was fast, adrenaline pumping through her veins as she closed her eyes briefly and leaned her head back against the blue paneled structure. Ally released a breath of relief.

Waiting until the emerging guard disappeared from sight, she carefully placed the wire cutters against the chain link fence and forced the two handles together. Reveling in the sound of the link snapping, Ally waited in silence for a second to make sure that the guard wasn't going to come investigate the sound but could detect no movement. Deciding that she was indeed hidden from his sight by her position directly against the tower and directly below the protruding window, she moved to the next link.

Finally having a slit in the wire mesh fence that was large enough for her to pull back the metal and slip through without having to go over the thick coil of wire lining the top, Ally slipped the tool in her hand back into the small pouch. Smoothly gliding through the opening, she made sure to watch out for the sweeping flood lights set on top of the guard towers as well as to remain out of sight of any security cameras.

Having purposely chosen a guard tower close to the security room, Ally found herself in front of the door within a minute. She quietly opened the small bag attached to her leg once again, her eyes flickering around in search of anyone nearby, and extracted a screwdriver as well as a password decoder. Once again, she silently thanked Trenton in her mind, knowing that he must've went through a lot of effort to secretly gather all of the materials she would need to break into a prison, including the exact decoder that worked with the California State Prison's system and the blueprints of the entire complex. Ally wouldn't have even known who left the pouch on her bed if he hadn't left her a short note inside.

Carefully unscrewing and removing the outside panel of the password keypad, she secured the cable of the password decoder and waited as letters and numbers flew across the screen. A green light illuminated from the side of the keypad, the click of the door unlocking a testament to the device's success at computing the password. She stowed the materials away, silently slipping into the security building.

Under quick inspection, the room was revealed to contain only two guards, both set in front of a wide display of security camera screens. Both were tiredly watching the screens, their slumped shoulders displaying their weariness and the lack of movement on the monitors at that particular time of night. Carefully letting the door click shut behind her, Ally advanced on the unsuspecting guards, hitting the vegas nerve running along the side of the first guard's neck and then applying the same technique to the second guard before either knew what was happening. The pressure point hits quickly rendered both of them unconscious, their eyes rolling up into their heads as they fainted and slumped against the desk.