28. Juliana, More Than a Pretty Face

She liked this version of Jenny. The cute, uncertain Jenny was endearing enough, but this version—the one who deftly and unhesitatingly reclaimed Juliana's hand—was infinitely hotter. There was something about knowing what you wanted and then having the guts to go after it that Juliana had always admired.

Lindsey had had that quality in spades. And then she'd moved away for it.

She shook that thought from her head. Jenny was not Lindsey, and Lindsey was in the past. The past didn't matter anymore. This did.

She squeezed Jenny's hand for her own reassurance that Jenny was indeed here, and this was actually happening. The girl squeezed back, sending a thrill up her arm.

Jenny looked good in those turquoise track pants with the stripe up the sides. And that v-neck top... when Jenny had stepped out of her car, Juliana had to concentrate on keeping her eyes from dropping down and lingering on the woman's cleavage like some tactless dude.

They walked in companionable silence, their hands linked.

Jenny took a deep breath. Juliana felt the woman's body tense beside her, like she was preparing herself for something unpleasant.

"I thought Noah was your boyfriend," Jenny blurted.

"What?" Juliana said with a laugh.

"I thought—" Jenny swallowed. "I just can't believe we're here. Doing this." She held up their clasped hands. "That time we were on the phone before, you said 'Noah stop it,' and I assumed he was a boyfriend messing around with you." She shook her head. "I didn't have the courage to ask who that was. I mean, it wasn't my business, so it would be weird to ask, right?"

Juliana cast a side-long glance at her. "I guess. How did you figure it out, then?"

Jenny ducked her head. "I don't want to get her into trouble."

"Natalie." Of course it was her. Who else could it have been?

"She wasn't gossiping!" Jenny said quickly. "She was just, um, talking about your dog. And after I found out, I..."

"Called me?" Juliana's stomach fluttered with delight at the thought. Could it be she'd been interested this whole time?

"I'm talking too much. I don't know why I'm talking so much! I'm not supposed to tell you this stuff. I'm supposed to be coy or play it cool or something." She wilted with an exhale. "But I've never been cool."

"Cool is overrated."

"Says the cool girl with the amazing body."

Juliana wasn't sure how to respond. Although she was proud of her fitness, she didn't want that to be the only attractive thing Jenny saw. She got enough of that at the gym. Some of her male clients were the worst offenders.

Jenny wasn't like that, though, right? She hadn't gotten that impression at all.

Then again, what did she really know about this woman?

Juliana hadn't realized her gait had slowed until Jenny gave her a nervous glance and said, "Something wrong? Oh, no, I said something stupid, didn't I? Ugh, my mom is always telling me to close my mouth more. Be more mysterious. Like you."

Juliana gave her a curious look. "You think I'm mysterious?"

"Honestly? It's a mystery to me why you like me. I'm a mess."

The unapologetic Jenny who had taken her hand was completely gone. Juliana missed her. "We're all messes," she said, trying to make her feel better.

Jenny waved a hand in the air. "You are not a mess."

The dismissiveness of the gesture irked her. "How would you know?"

"I—what?" Those blue eyes were wide with confusion.

"How would you know I'm not a mess?"

"Because you're... well, look at you!"

Juliana carefully slid her hand out of Jenny's and faced her. "So, you think because I look like this, I have no problems?"

Jenny's mouth seemed to fumble for words. "I think, maybe, you have fewer of them?"

Juliana hated doing this to Jenny. Hated seeing her struggle to find verbal footing. But the girl was making assumptions about her. Lindsey had done that all the time. Didn't bother asking what she thought or how she felt because Lindsey had decided she already knew everything about Juliana. Already figured that Juliana would never want to change jobs. Would never want to move to another state with her. Called her "stuck in a rut" as she packed up her things and moved away.

Would she have moved with her? Juliana wasn't sure, but she would've liked to have the chance to talk about it.

"I think Noah is tired," she announced, even though the dog was still straining ahead, eager to get to the next bush. This wasn't going the way she'd hoped. Better to quit before things got worse. Juliana had no intention of having her heart broken again.

She inhaled a weary breath. "We should probably go."

Arrgh didn't they just get together? Maybe a vote will save them...