19. Jenny Consults Mom Again

"No, no, no, no," Jenny moaned as she slid down the wall of her apartment. Juliana had called her. Called her. To see if she was all right. A shaky smile formed on her face when she thought about the trainer's thoughtfulness. Jenny had flaked on her appointment, and her response had been to make sure she was all right.

And then Jenny had blown it. Practically accused her of hooking up with clients and then admitting to having the biggest crush on her. Juliana's heterosexual mind must've gotten overwhelmed or horrified. Or both.

She needed her mom. Missed her terribly. Without hesitation, she dialed the number.

She answered on the first ring. "Jenny! I was just thinking about you."

"You were?"

"I keep telling you I might be psychic, but you never believe me."

"Predicting rain isn't a psychic ability, Mom. It's meteorology."

"When did you get so cynical?"

Jenny masked her smile with a perfunctory sigh. Her mother never failed to take her mind off her troubles, even if for a little while. "Since always."

"How's work?" her mother asked. "Do they appreciate cynics over there?"

"Surprisingly, yes. Work is good. There's this one guy who keeps showing up late, but I don't have the heart to write him up because it's family stuff. Would you believe he's got six siblings?"

"I saw a documentary about this family with seventeen kids, can you believe that? The number of birthdays alone is enough to drive a parent insane!"

"Wow."

"Now tell me the real reason you called. Is it girl trouble?"

Jenny stared at her phone. Maybe her mother was psychic. "Sort of."

"Spill it."

Jenny inhaled wearily and began spilling. She told her about Juliana and how perfect she was. About the personal training sessions. About Danielle reappearing in her life. Recounted with excruciating detail how much flirting went on between the two.

"Hmm." Her mother ruminated for a moment. "And you're positive this Juliana person was flirting back? Because I've seen Danielle in action. The girl will flirt with a yogurt spoon."

"She gave Danielle her business card!" Jenny wailed.

"She gave you her business card, didn't she? It's a business card. That's what you're supposed to do with them."

"Well—" Jenny had no retort. "Damn it, Mom, when did you get so logical?"

"About the same time you turned cynical, I think."

Jenny shook her head. "So what do I do?"

"Ask her out."

"What?" Jenny stared at her phone again. "I can't do that!"

"Why not?"

"She's—she's—" Jenny spluttered. "She has a boyfriend! Named Noah."

"Oh. He has a name now. Well, you could have started with that instead of the whole 'she flirted with Danielle' nonsense."

"I..." Jenny deflated. Had she really imagined all that? "Oh, Mom. Why am I so messed up?"

"You are not messed up. You're just lovesick."

"I am not lovesick! I barely know her."

"I think your heart knows her better than you think."

"That doesn't make any sense, Mom."

"It doesn't have to make sense. These are your feelings. You're allowed to have them."

"Ugh. Maybe I should stop going to the gym. And move somewhere else."

"Jenny Joy Leffer. I did not raise you to be a coward."

"I know."

"Uprooting your life to pursue a better one was a good choice," her mother said. "But uprooting your life to run away from an ex? Not so good."

Jenny wilted. She had moved here to get away from Danielle, but at least she'd gotten a good job out of it. Moving again wouldn't look so good on her resume. Reason for leaving: cowardice.

"You're right, Mom. I just don't know what to do."

"Just don't think about it so hard. You can't think your way through feelings. Do what feels right. You'll figure it out."

"Thanks, Mom."

Voting feels right, right? (That's right.)