17. Jenny in Shock

Dismay. Shock. Horror. Jenny's emotions were a swirling riot of disbelief when she saw Juliana handing her card over to Danielle. Her ex, of course, had been her usual flirty, charming self, batting those perfect eyelashes and clutching her chest like some kind of swooning princess.

She couldn't blame her, truthfully. She'd have done the same if she'd had it in her. Juliana was kind, humble, and had her own subtle brand of charm going. She probably got hit on every single day.

Jenny wanted to storm in there and demand answers. Shout in Danielle's face, "What are you doing here? Why are you following me? You dumped me, and now you're trying to steal the one person I look forward to seeing? I will end you!"

Jenny slumped against the wall and watched Danielle saunter to the locker room. She wouldn't do any of those things. Jenny was not a stormer. She could never yell at anyone. She couldn't even face the woman who'd given her this gym membership in the first place. And looking forward to seeing Juliana? That was all a fantasy anyway. Those toned arms and freckled nose belonged to some guy named Noah.

She should laugh in Danielle's face. Point a finger and mock, "You are such a dog in heat, and you're barking up the wrong tree."

But all she felt was shame. She couldn't explain it. Couldn't face Juliana now that the girl had met her ex. Her athletic, magnetic, and energetic ex. The woman had a way with people that Jenny could never match or compete with. Swept them up like a tornado.

Jenny was a tumbleweed. She rolled where the winds blew her. She was passive. Wimpy. And as much as it pained her to do it, she would roll away from the gym today. Away from Juliana and her kind brown eyes. And more importantly, far away from the woman who'd proven that Jenny just wasn't the kind of person that people hung onto.

*sniff* Now I'm sad again. You know what to do. *glances meaningfully at the vote button*