12. Juliana Tries Not to Fangirl

Curves was coming to see her today! Inexplicable excitement bubbled in her chest as she looked over today's schedule for the third time, just to marvel at Jenny's name.

"That's a grin I don't normally see." Tasha sidled up next to her to peer at the clipboard. "Who should I be on the lookout for?"

"None of your business."

"Ooh. Must be important, then. Let me see." Tasha grabbed the clipboard from her hands. "It's Mrs. Howard, isn't it? You've got thing for mothballs."

Juliana laughed. Mrs. Howard was a sweet retiree who called them both Dearie and smelled of mothballs more often than not. "You know me so well."

"Seriously though, who is it?" Tasha scanned the list of clients due for a session today. "That one's new." She pointed to the last name on the page. "Jenny Leffer?" She watched Juliana for a reaction.

Juliana did her best to maintain an impassive face. "She's a new client, yes."

"It is her!" Tasha squealed with joy and pulled up a chair. "Tell me everything."

"I signed a new client the other day. She has her first session today."

Tasha pouted. "That can't possibly be everything."

Juliana reclaimed the clipboard and pretended to study it.

"Oh come on! I tell you everything!" Tasha rolled her chair closer. "I thought we were friends?"

Juliana sighed. It was hard to say no to the friend card. Plus, she wanted to share her excitement with someone anyway. "It's Curves."

Tasha's mouth nearly dropped to the floor. "No... way! How did you manage that? You finally followed her into the locker room like I told you, right?"

"No! Nothing like that. Geez, does that actually work for you?" She eyed her friend skeptically.

Tasha waved a dismissive hand. "Nah. I don't actually do that. Just wanted to see if it worked for someone else."

Juliana swatted the other woman's arm. "Brat."

"Yeah, I know, but you still have to tell me how this happened."

She relayed the story of Jenny's mishap, ending with her giving Jenny her business card in the parking lot.

Tasha nodded appreciatively. "Smooth! See, you had it in you all along. Way to work the free training angle."

She thought about telling her friend she hadn't intended to "work the angle", but decided not to bother. Tasha wouldn't believe her anyway.

The woman kept talking. "So tell me, are you going to put your hands on those curves to, you know, guide her?"

Juliana hung the clipboard back on the wall. "I've got a class coming in. Bye!"

"Fine." Tasha drew out the word, pretending to be wounded. "I'll do my job and go find some clients to sign up."

"Don't hurt yourself," Juliana tossed over her shoulder as she left the office.

***

One class and three clients later, Juliana waited eagerly for her last appointment of the day. In eight minutes, Curves was due to arrive.

Jenny, she reminded herself. Her name is Jenny.

She opened a new intake form on the computer. A tiny butterfly fluttered through her stomach as she entered Jenny's name.

You're being silly. The girl wants fitness, not a date. And she's probably straight, so get a grip.

Six minutes left.

A soft knock on the door frame made Juliana look up.

"Um, hi," Jenny said tentatively, half her body blocked by the doorframe like she was hiding behind it. "I'm a little early. I probably should have just waited in my car, but—never mind." A faint pink color tinted her cheeks.

The woman was adorable.

Juliana pushed back from her desk, doing her best to tamp the giddiness she felt. This was not a date, so why in the world did it feel like one? "No worries. I'm ready for you."

Was that suggestive? Why did it sound sexual to her? Great, she was going to scare her off with some accidental innuendo.

Better invite her in before she really did run off. She gestured to one of the guest chairs. "Have a seat. We need to fill out a few forms before we get started."

"Thanks." Jenny sat.

Was that a new outfit? In all the time Julianna had been stalking—no, not stalking. Damn you, Tasha, for putting that in my head—following Jenny's progress, the girl had always worn comfortable old t-shirts and baggy sweatpants. That snug blue top was definitely new.

And flattering. Her eyes looked bluer than ever. Her blond hair contrasted nicely against it, like spun gold. She had once said the girl wasn't stunning. She took it back. Jenny was totally stunning, especially up close.

Spun gold? Really? Are you trying to be a poet now?

"So... where do we start?" Jenny asked.

Crap! Had she been staring? She needed to stop staring. Juliana cleared her throat. "Let's start with this liability waiver. Our lawyer's favorite."

Jenny smiled, and Juliana relaxed. Just play it cool, and everything will be fine.

I'm kind of staring at the vote button. Isn't it lovely? Maybe even... stunning? I think I'll touch it.