10. Juliana, Not an Inappropriate Weirdo

Juliana set her phone down, exhaling slowly. The girl had called her. Curves had actually called her. That same night! Most of the time when she handed out her business card, she never heard from that person again. If she was lucky, a new client would sign up a week later. But to call a few hours after receiving her card? That had to mean something.

She's just motivated, the logical side of her explained. Motivated people get things done.

Noah whined, placing his paw on her arm in a not-so-subtle move designed to make her pet him. It always worked.

She stroked his silky black ears, still thinking about Curves. Jenny, she reminded herself. Her name is Jenny. It would be completely unacceptable—not to mention mortifying—to call a client Curves to her face.

It was odd. The girl had had the guts to call, and then seemed to doubt her own ability to follow through. She dealt with doubtful clients all the time, but they were usually the ones that needed convincing to sign up in the first place. Jenny seemed to be fighting a different set of demons.

Juliana shook her head when she recalled how she'd almost slipped up. She'd tried to encourage the girl by telling her she didn't seem like a quitter, but when asked to explain, she'd nearly admitted to watching her for weeks. How creepy would that seem? Thank goodness she'd caught herself and put on her professional persona instead.

"What do you think, Noah? I sounded like normal trainer, and not a weirdo with an inappropriate crush on a stranger, right?"

"Wuff."

"Yeah, you're right. Normal is overrated."

I'm going to teach Noah to vote. C'mon boy! Touch the button! Just put your paw right there... gah, stop licking me!