Chapter 25 - What Happened In Vegas

Ricky was fuming as he sped towards the office.

He kept going over his argument with Chris in his head, and grew more and more irritated with his selfish and manipulative claims. The man was trying to string everyone along, denying his parents involvement and downplaying the whole situation to make himself seem like a victim!

Once at work, Ricky added a day off to his calendar for tomorrow so everyone would know he'd be out. He hadn't take a day off in years, so he felt he could get away with the short notice. Then he went about his usual work, trying not to think too much about Chris or the Mendova's threats. Mr. Dalton didn't ask him for a notice today, which he was grateful for since he wasn't sure his nerves could take the reminder. 

He received a number of texts from the Reyes family, asking for his location and if he was safe. He reassured them each time that he was alive and well. After work, he drove towards the meeting location and rented a motel. 

The next day he picked up David and took him to a small Diner halfway towards the city limits. As usual, he lured  him out with the promise of food and a quick explanation of what was happening. He didn't relay all the details though. That's what he planned to discuss over lunch.

"I'm not a dog you know." David huffed between bites of his BLT.

Ricky blew his straw wrapper at him. "Then why do you always come when I offer you a treat?"

A swift kick to Ricky's leg had him bouncing in his seat.

"So spill it. What are you really planning? You sounded particularly pissed on the phone today." David interrogated.

Ricky collected himself as he responded. "Well for one, I am pissed. Very pissed. Extremely pissed. I'm thirty-two flavors of pissed. Particularly at Chris and his parents."

"Really?" David tilted his head. "I thought you were already pissed at him though? What did he do now?"

Ricky could barely contain a sudden bout of hysterical laughter that bubbled up, somewhat alarming the little human. "Would you believe that he had his parents blackmail me into staying in this marriage? It's kind of ironic considering how hard they tried to force us apart before. Now I have to give up my rank so Chris can become the next CEO!"

"How's that work? Why would he have to be married to run a company?" 

It was times like these that Ricky forgot how little humans actually understood about demon culture. "If a demon has more than one husband, then by Demon Law, the lowest ranked demon has to be a stay at home mate. That means no job or anything."

"That's bullshit!"

Ricky nodded in agreement. "It's supposed to protect the weakest of our kind, since back in the good ol' days, killing your enemies mate was a common practice between rival demons, and since I'd be the lowest ranked, Damon's enemies would target me first."

David just shook his head and took another bite. "That fucking sucks. What do they even have on you to make you agree to that fuckery?"

Ricky leaned back and glanced out the window. "They threatened to turn me in for working while married. The fact that none of us knew we were married for seven years might not matter and I could be severely punished for it, but then...They also threatened you."

David stopped chewing as his eyes grew wide. "Me? Why?!"

"Because you're my friend and the easiest to target. Remember? I just said it's common practice for rival demons to target the weakest mate. That goes for friends too."

"Sheesh. Wish I had known all of this earlier." David grumbled.

"I'm sorry. I never expected them to come after you too. After they destroyed my apartment I thought they only planned to keep harassing me, but then they showed up at the office and...I promise I won't let them hurt you." Ricky sat up straight. "I'm thinking of talking to Damon about it. If I have to stay with them anyways, once we're bonded I'd technically have access to their money since I wouldn't be allowed to work for my own. And those guys are loaded. I could buy informants, like Bellini, and keep an eye on the Mendovas to make sure they don't come near you. Maybe even get some bodyguards for you. "