Chapter 31 - The Ceremony

Needless to say, Ricky had to go back to the hospital for nearly a week so his battered body could stabilize. Afterwards, he was on strict bed rest when he got home. Butters became a near permanent fixture in his lap by the end of the month, having grown accustomed to sleeping beside him.

It proved to be good quality time for the four of them. Thomas would often accompany him, bringing him food, books, movies, or anything else Ricky requested. Hector would stream the newest Musicals or watch old reruns with him.

Once Ricky was stable enough, Damon began carrying him down to the living room so he could be with the rest of the family for the day. Ricky rather enjoyed the pampering. A few times, Thomas had Ricky rest his head in his lap so he could feed him grapes like a spoiled royal. It was fun.

Ricky's parents were another story. They insisted on visiting and were always intimidated by Damon's aura whenever they stepped through the threshold. His mother would remain a spitfire up until that point, where she'd go quiet as a mouse and fawn over her son. His father, being unaccustomed to emotional situations, would quietly carry the gifts they picked out for him and briefly ask how he's doing. Ricky knew his father loved him, he just wasn't a talker, nor was he great at expressing himself. The fact that the man showed up was more than enough.

Once he was able to walk around, Ricky began insisting he go back to work. Damon didn't agree at first, but Ricky convinced him it was possible when he had Thomas help him get an office desk set up in the corner of his room. From there he began working from home.

Finally, after ten weeks of healing, he was free from his crutches. No longer covered in cuts and bruises, Damon decided to plan the Ceremony which would properly introduce Ricky as part of the family.

The event space he rented out was much larger than Ricky expected. When he and Chris were married, it was a small Ceremony. Obviously Chris's parents refused to show up, so it had mainly been Ricky's family. Then he remembered he now had three husbands who were planning to show him off to their own families.

Besides his own parents, Ricky decided to also invite David. It wasn't very customary to have humans in attendance for this sort of thing, but David was his best friend and even though he decided that distancing himself from the guy would be best for his safety, he figured the least he could do was invite David to his 'wedding' before doing so. 

On the day of the event, the entire space was packed with strangers. Ricky was wearing a white three piece suit, and David was likewise wearing his first ever black blazer and pants. With his hair properly groomed, the little human could pass as a decent looking business man.

"This is awkward as hell." David whispered.

"Couldn't agree more."

"Why would you invite me?"

"So we could be awkward together?"

Thomas, Hector, and Damon were all wearing their own black suits. It was customary for the newest member of the family to wear white so they could be easily picked out. This made Ricky the center of attention while various strangers walked up to shake his hand and congratulate him.

The event hall was lavishly decorated with tall crystal vases filled to the brim with calla lillies and peonie garlands stretching between each of the enormous white columns that aligned the walls. Three of the four walls were glass and overlooked the city skyline, and above their heads were two crystal chandeliers. There were four long tables for the guests to sit at, and a buffet table set up at the back of the room. At the front was a podium with another table intended for his husbands.

Before Damon made his speech, Ricky was ordered to try and mingle, which he did by dragging David along with him.

"You must be Ricky." One of Thomas's fathers approached him. He was tall and like his son, very muscular. He had a mop of dirty blond hair that was haphazardly combed to the side, but that didn't make the man any less handsome. As a matter of fact, Thomas's other two fathers were quite attractive themselves. One of them had short blond hair and a square chin with kind green eyes, and the other had side swept dark brown hair with a welcoming smile.