Capítulo 38 (treinta y ocho)

Elizabeta

Crack!

The ear-piercing sound echoed through trees and earth. The ground shook, making my heart skip a beat. Tightening the soft cardigan a little more around me, I stared at the two men before me.

"Jesus Christus, sie sind wieder dabei, sind sie nicht?" Jana next to me sighed loudly, her arms crossed under her bosom. One of her glowed fingers tapped against her sleeve, head shaking as she also watched the scene in front of us. "Wirklich – anstatt dies zu tun, könnten sie uns helfen," she scoffed and I let out a low laugh. Certainly, despite it being winter, there were always many things to do. And yet, instead of that, the two gentlemen decided to do some shooting. At a moving target, naturally.

Max, one of the few male servants in this house, took out the second victim; a quail. The brown-ish bird trembled in Max's hands, turning its head from right to left rapidly. After adding some more gunpowder into their weapons, the master of the mansion gave the servant a sign to let the poor animal be free. The bird stumbled in the air at first, trying to maintain some balance and control over its wings before confidently aiming for an escape. However, guns were pointed upwards and after a moment of silence, the first shot was fired.

Thud

And there was no need for the second one. With the muzzle facing white snow, Antonio watched as the Serbian man went to get his victim's dead body. Despite Toni's frame being sharp and focused, Roderich's loosened as he gave his companion a compliment. The Spaniard sniffled, bringing a clothed hand to his face, "Gosh, I very much not enjoy this cold." The Austrian scoffed and his lips gave away a hint of a smirk, "Perhaps you ought to go and warm up inside. Or maybe a bit of some rum would be better?" Toni scoffed as well and I could tell he rolled his eyes. "To make myself dizzy so you could win? No, thank you."

Max jogged towards us, holding the bird by its legs. Jana made a face and took a step towards me. "Bring das Ding von mir weg." Max chuckled but couldn't help himself but to tease her, "Deshalb sind Mädchen so schwach; sie können nicht mit ein bisschen Blut umgehen." The Pole stared at him with eyes wide open, mouth agape in shock.

"Nur weil du ein Mann bist, heißt das nicht, dass du ein Monster werden solltest."

Max's pleased look turned into shock and then slight frustration as Antonio spoke up. With an annoyed look, he took off towards the back entrance of the mansion.

"Ich finde es auch gut, dass Frauen so weich und süß sind; sie wissen, dass es auf dieser Welt mehr gibt als Gewalt und Schmerz," one emerald eye winked Jana's way, making her cheeks go crimson. As her flustered state only grew, she quickly excuse herself and rushed inside the building. Roderich let out an irritated sound, casting his eyes on the younger male disapprovingly, "Could you maybe not seduce my subordinates?" But Antonio only shrugged and gave him a cocky grin.

Roderich walked towards me, weighting the gun in one hand as his other came to rest upon my shoulder. He then planted a soft peck on my cheek, making both of our faces slightly pink. "You shouldn't be out here, dressed only in that; you'll get sick." I smiled at him, taking a step closer, feeling warm in my chest. "Don't worry, I'll be fine." Despite me reassuring him, worry painted his face and only disappeared partly when I planted a chaste kiss on his lips.

I dared to take a peek behind my fiancée's shoulder, only to find Toni smiling at us softly. "It's nice to be able to love without things stopping you, isn't it?" I gave him a questioning look and his face fell, all playfulness from before disappearing behind a poor excuse of a smile. "Did something happen?" He shook his head, letting the gun hand loosely from his shoulder, "No. But I wish it did because like that, I'd have a reason to feel like this." After a moment of silence, he added, "Sometimes, there aren't people and things in the way for one to love someone. Sometimes, it's them who keeps one from loving that someone. And that's the worst enemy for everyone – their own self."