Capítulo 28 (veintiocho)

Antonio

I opened the door to my new room. The changes still caught me off guard each time I walked in, its spaciousness and furniture something completely different than the first one I've been occupying. The room was big, too big for my liking; my paranoia was kicking in again, expecting some kind of danger behind every corner. At least the bed was bigger and way softer, the sheets made from silk and thus, my sleep has been way better. There were even curtains falling along the sides but I've never used them; I didn't need them to protect me, not yet.

As I stepped in, the rich light attacked my eyes, a small groan echoing in my chest as my eyes slowly took notice of my surroundings. My heart skipped a beat when they fell upon the metal, large tub just few feet away from me. Despite me agreeing to him doing it here, I was still a bit anxious about Roma bathing in my room, in my presence as lately, the love for him has been growing inside of me, him not knowing.

He wouldn't even know it in the future most probably. It's a great danger for both us. Yes, I did tell Eli about us, about my feelings but she's my friend. Someone I've known ever since my childhood days and vice versa; there would be no way for her to betray me, nor I would ever betray her. I know she'd never let anyone else know, nor talk about it with someone for others to overhear; not even Roderich, or rather, mainly not him. After everything that has happened between those two, I thought it'd be in their best interests to keep the waters calm as they are now.

And yet, if something was to happen between me and the Italian tonight and if some maid was to find out, I cannot imagine what would happen. I don't care about what would happen to me, I was only afraid of what would happen to those around me; Lizzy, Roderich and most importantly, Roma. My two friends would be sent to prison for a few decades but Roma, my dear Roma, he would've been tortured and killed even if he confessed everything; even things they'd want him to say despite him not doing them.

Therefore, after shutting the doors and making sure they were locked, I stepped into the room, a small ball of something in my throat, making it harder to breathe and think. I swallowed, wetting my bottom lip as I stared at the Italian fair skin shining in the candle light, drops of water sliding down and joining the see-through liquid he found himself in.

I imagined my fingers and lips being those raindrops, tasting Roma's skin, feeling his everything through my everything. Just letting my fingers trace down his figure, kiss those puffy, red lips, stare into his eyes and claim everything I could, make him mine and protect him until my last breath. Make him gasp and maybe even make him love me.

But I was a fool to think that; something like that wouldn't happen to a sinner like me. And maybe it was better not to happen; so much danger and so little I could do to prevent it from happening.

Plop and he sank deeper into the little sea, hands wrapped around his knees which were pulled tightly to his chest and was it just the winter air, or were his cheeks flushed? My footsteps came to a halt by the metal object and the Italian only curled into even a smaller ball as I sat down, taking in his naked beauty. If I couldn't touch him with my hands, I could at least touch him with my eyes.

"Thanks for letting me bathe here." He mumbled so softly I almost didn't catch it. I opened my mouth but quickly shut it like a fish, swallowing and trying my best to keep myself from standing up and doing something. My heart began to beat faster and the blood in my veins was slowly joined by adrenaline, an unsaid frustration inside of me at war with common sense and logic.

"It's alright," I let out at last, my voice cracking at the end and I cursed in my head, tapping away nervously at the armrest. The room was then filled with nothing more than silence, only the clock on the dresser ticking away every second. It was already dark outside, the light from the candles reflecting off the windows.