Capítulo 43 (cuarenta y tres)

Elizabeta

They say women understand each other without even trying, and that to men, women are like magic; something unexplainable and complicated. I never believed such thing. Mainly as a child.

I had no siblings, only a cousin who was three years my senior. He's always been like a brother to me and we were close since he and his family would come every summer to my hometown in Hungary. They were from Prussia, so they were way better off than us. Thus, we would always play together and therefore, I would pick a thing or two from his behaviour and act like it later on. Because all of this and also because there were nearly no girls my age in our village, all of my friends were male. My parents didn't mind - they hoped I'd find a good husband among them and settle down to have as many kids as possible. However, this idea disgusted me and as soon as there was a chance for me to get away to work, I took it without a second thought. I grew and matured, noticed my body changed and also noticed that all of the boys who used to be my friends also changed. Whenever I'd come back to visit my parents, they'd annoy me. Just then I realized why women felt more comfortable around other women. I quickly learned how to communicate with people my own gender and found way better friends than those with whom I used to play as a child.

Even now, for example, many years later, I found it more relaxing to spend time with another woman than a man. Mainly because men often uttered things about us being weak and such alike. I also noticed they were far more likely to be swallowed by stress than women. Or maybe that was the case only for the men I knew. All in all, now that there were four men in my life at the same time, I often needed to run away to my friend Jana. I often found myself feeling like the only adult among these male children. It was tough having three of them around, in which two didn't quite click, but having four of them? Insane.

One of those moments when I had to escape occurred today, just few days after I saw Feli accompanying Toni on his way to the stables. I was on my way from where we, maids, usually hung up laundry for it to dry. I had a basket in my hands, the pieces of fabric folded on top of each other inside it when, walking by a window, I noticed them coming towards the mansion. They both seemed to be in a good mood, smiles blossomed on their faces and visibly in a conversation they both enjoyed.

At first, I was glad - there weren't any problems between them, no suspicion or anything like that. But then, when I hurried to drop the basket off with another maid and then quickly got to the stables to eavesdrop (I know it's something no-one should do but as a maid and mainly a housekeeper, I needed to know what was going on in every corner of our household), I heard Toni mention his teacher's name and then saw a stressed glint in his eyes when asked who was Javier.

I realized right away there was something wrong and although Toni knew how to lie - he knew how to lie damn well - there would've been more trouble later on. First danger came when Feli asked him how he had met Roma to which the Spaniard answered smartly and then disappeared as quickly as possible. I trusted the green-eyed man deeply; he always knew what to say and what to do in situations like this but still, I rushed to announce the whole thing to Roderich who was just as alarmed as I was. I then left him to think about it because I knew he hated when someone "interrupted" his river of thoughts, but he was silent when I asked him about it before we went to bed. Next day he told me he had something in mind but needed to talk to Antonio. Knowing him, Toni most probably already thought something up so it wouldn't take long for both men to find a way to save us all from the tragedy that could happen. It was better for all of us to discuss it, not only because we could share ideas but also because we all wanted to have it under control.

And plus, working together was always better than doing something alone. It is said that a person is the cause of their own problems and if they carry on making their own decisions without discussing it with someone else, they might make another mistake. If only people weren't so scared of letting others see they have a burden to bare. Some may even find it as a symbol of trust - sharing a problem, I mean.