Capítulo 7 (siete)

Antonio's PoV:

Days passed, land scenarios changed and we began to face yet another problem on the way to one of the strongest kingdoms in the World. My little crew passed the France-Spain borders without any complications as I decided to choose mountains for our already dangerous journey. As I looked at the stony "road" in front of us, I began to actually curse myself and deeply regret my decision.

The weather has been cold and unpleasant for the past few days, the thread of it changing only to worse in the mountains reminding me of how stupid I was to think this way it'll be better. Yes, if we were to cross the border like any normal person, we'd face the army etc., but as we weren't used to this kind of coldness, a high chance of illness took place and such case wasn't welcomed at all.

I was damn-well acknowledged with death caused by sickness but there was no way out of this suicidal mission.

As the colours of dark blue and later black filled the sky above our heads, the weather tipped to the bad side, wind increasing at powerful and stopples speed. However, my command only sent the horses to a faster pace, as if on a race with the element. Hours passed and we carried on with the merciless tempo, the animals funning and scoffing through their noses into the night air.

Hoofs wrecked stones underneath, that one and only sound echoing into silence. Trees lined up our road as if accompanying our steps and the moon with its little stars watched over us as we hurried down a hill, then up one and then dashed across a plain, boring country.

We came to a stop at last, putting off most of the pressure the animals had to carry as we stood on our own. Heat creeping into me through thick fur and skin trembling with exhaustion, water dropped from glassy objects and slick tongue licked around to get the desired liquid inside.

"Déjalos descansar por un rato," I said in a breathless pant as my very own body stood and basically leaned against my horse. Head sunk lowly, ears twitching for any upcoming sound and tail slashing around, the mammal's breath came out in small puffs, forming hot clouds on the dark background.

After some time, I finally managed to rush air into my lungs and filled them enough for my system to be pleased. The others seemed to be the same or at least on the best way to recovery, just like the horses around us. I dipped forward in a hopeless gesture, my vision going blurry and small, white sparks began to fill my eyes. I cursed quietly when this illness of mine spoke up violently as it didn't sooner like I expected it to.

Once the spotless surroundings were to be replaced by actually silhouettes of near objects, I pressed my back against the nameless creature behind me. Dizziness never leaving, I felt a sharp shudder from behind that set off the loud alarms in my head.

I straightened up, not caring one bit about the symptoms from just a second before, gun appearing in my hand but still lowered as I listened to the world around me. Nothing unusual caught my attention; strong wind finally died out and now only a breeze played with leaves somewhere in the distance but nothing too dangerous took place.

Crack went a piece of wood in the forest and I turned towards it, hand now tightly clasped around the metal thing. My eyes quickly scanned the scene and just when I thought it was nothing, my paranoia or just a small animal, a shushed growl filled my ears.

"Señor,¿qué pasa?" Carlos asked as he stepped towards me. "Cállate," I barked out which didn't surprise him at all as I was still facing the trees in front of me, completely drowned in darkness. Another growl now joined by another one and louder could be heard and hair on the back of my neck rose in unspoken fear.