1

VANESSA's Pov

I glanced  out through the mirror, taking in the surrounding as we drove by.  I miss this city so much.  Being away for almost  five years really made me miss all of this.  The city I grew  up in.  The city I spent  my whole life in.  I miss everything so damn much. 

It feels good  to be back home forreal

I   glanced back to check on my potty bear and just as I had guessed, she's engrossed  in whatever she's doing on her iPad. 

"Are you okay there baby?" I asked my daughter Nayla.   Just as I expected.  I got no response from her.  Whenever she's  on  her iPad, she's in her own little  world and I know not to disturb her.   I decided to let her be after all

"We're  almost at grandma's"    I smiled shaking my head before turning my attention  back on the road.  

Couple of minutes later, we were driving into my mom's  compound. A smile creeped on my face as we entered.  This  is where  I spent the remaining  half  of my life and it was beautiful.  I missed everything so much.   Nothing  has changed actually.   It's just as I left it. I remembered  vividly  last time I was in this house.  It still feels like yesterday and it has been over  four years now.

The main door opened and my younger sister ran out of the house.  I opened the door to get out of the car and she bounced on me.  I chuckled loudly.  She finally left go of me giving me the chance to get out of the car. 

"Where's she?" Was the first thing she asked.   I  smiled knowing what she met.  She's asking of Nayla.   This is the first time she'll be seeing her neice.   Well,  the first time any  of my family would be seeing Nayla. 

I gave birth to Nayla while I was in Newark, New Jersey .  She stayed there all her life.  My family only saw her through FaceTime.  This is her first time away from where she grew to  call home

"She's  at  the back se.."  I was saying when  she opened the back  door . She gasped  when she saw her. There's  no doubt Nayla  is pretty, cute just name it, I get that reaction  alot.   Ever since they saw Nayla's picture, they questioned if  she was really my daughter or I adopted  her.  I know they're  overreacting  but then I don't blame them.  Her curly real hair, straight  nose, her deep brown eyes and her complexion makes them  doubt me even more when I keep insisting her father is a Nigerian.  And it's not possible she got any of this from me because I'm  a complete brown skinned lady.  

Nayla glanced  at my sister Debby  briefly when she opened the door before fixing her attention back on whatever she was watching.  I smiled. 

"Alright baby,  come on out,we're  at grandma's " I collected the iPad from her before getting her out of the car.  "Say hi to aunt  Debby.  You remember aunty Debby  right " 

She nod her head before saying hi  quietly. "Aww my baby.. how are you" Debby  kissed her on her forehead smiling.   I paid the taxi  driver before going inside the house.  I asked that my sister helped with the bags. 

As soon as I stepped into  the house, I was welcomed by my mom who engulfed  me in a tight hug.  She hugged  both Nayla and I together.

"Welcome my darling , how was your  trip? Hope you're not too tired.  Oh my, my grandbaby is all grown  up  now.  Awww...She's  a beauty" She collected Nayla from me.  This is also her first time seeing her granddaughter.    She rocked the child in excitement  as if she was still a baby

"Baby see grandma,say hi to grandma"

"Hi" Nayla replied. She found everything her grandma was doing amusing.  Debby was already inside  the house  with the suitcases.

" how have you been my dear? How are you doing? "

"fine mummy.  I'm fine and you, I've missed you so much " 

"I missed you too my darling.  "

" You know what.  I just finished preparing your  meal.  Just go inside your room. It is still the way you left it. Freshen up and come back to eat your food "

"Thank you mommy. Come baby " I collected  Nayla  and  head  up to my room . Debby  followed with the luggage. 

Just like my mom had said.  The room is still the same just the way I left it.  Debby dropped the bags before leaving the room.   I place Nayla on the bed.

"Let's get you out of this" I pulled out her clothes and gave her a nice shower before taking one myself.  I got her dressed in a simple outfit and did the same with myself. We finally went downstairs after doing all this. 

"Mom, do you have any cereal .  Nayla can't eat this "  I asked when we were about to start eating. 

"I guessed that also.  Well, we have cornflakes and golden morn.  Which one would she like"  my sister replied

" I don't know,  let's try the cornflakes"

"I'll  get it" Debby got up and went to the kitchen she returned with an already made cereal and milk.  I had to feed Nayla.  It wasn't easy getting her to eat it.  It's quite  different  to what she's used to but I managed to get her to eat some. 

After dinner,  I put Nayla to sleep, I sat with my sister and we talked about random stuff.   I finally called it a night when I got tired.

I retired to my room and decided to call Lola  my best friend.  Lola  and I lived together  in Newark.  Both of us takes care of Nayla.  To her, we're  both her mummy

" How is  potty bear" Lola  asked on FaceTime.

" She's fast asleep. She kept asking of  Nana " To Nayla, Lola is her Nana while I'm  her  Mama. 

"Aww my baby, I miss her so much.  I forgot you guys left already. Just when I was about to head to work, I entered  your  room to give her her normal kiss only  to remember  you guys are not around  "

"Awww we miss you too.  We'll  be back before you know. Just don't miss us too much " both of the us burst out laughing.  we went  silent for a moment

"What is it?" i asked her.  From her facial expressions  I  knew something was up  and she had something to say

"What if you see him" i sighed 

"I can't  and I know I won't. He's not here.  That is one thing I know .  If  we're  done here, I'll be back   and nothing would happen. Just trust me.  He won't see us "  I managed to assure her

"Okay. I just want everything to fine"

"And everything  would be fine.  Just don't worry .  How is Newark?  "

"Newark is Newark  boo.  I'm just lonely out here.  Be fast over there and get your ass back here before I come drag you back here " I  laughed.  My door opened and my mom came in.

"I gotta go babe, Imma call  you back "

"Alright sis, stay safe .  Love you "

"Love you more" i hung up 

"Hey mom "

"How are you my dear.  I came to have a word with you.....  "