You can believe me

It was two weeks before Christmas, and her actual plan had been to wait until Christmas to tell Lindsey. But she knew that she couldn't keep it from him any longer. It wasn't even that she had really wanted to keep it a secret, she had just thought it would be a very nice surprise. And Stevie feared that she wouldn't be able to keep this to herself for much longer. She was just way too excited.

It wasn't difficult for her to find Lindsey. Against what he had asked her as soon as her Wild Heart tour had been over, he was the one who had basically locked himself into their home studio now. Though Stevie was far from minding. If there was one thing she loved it was watching him work, playing something for a few hundred times until he thought it was perfect.

So she made her way in the studio, quietly, not knowing if he was just playing or actually recording. And just as expected, he was playing. Stevie leaned in the doorway, listening and watching. Lindsey was in his own world when he was playing, it was something that had already fascinated her nearly twenty years ago.

"What are you laughing?"

Lindsey had stopped playing and turned around, seeing her still smiling, and shaking her head.

"I just thought how crazy it is that we know each other for nearly twenty years already." She pushed herself away from the wall and made her way to him. "Everything that happened. Sometimes it feels as if this is a dream. And when I wake up we're back in San Jose..."

"And think about what will happen in the future."

"About that..." Stevie bit her lip, coming to sit in his lap.

"What?" He asked, bringing his arms around her. "Don't tell me you don't want to marry me anymore?"

"No, its not that." She shook her head. "But I have to tell you something."

"Then out with it."

"I hope that it'll be enough for my dad that we're engaged already."

"What?" Lindsey didn't understand what she was trying to tell him.

"When we had this talk about giving our relationship another try. I told you that if something happened before we are married that my dad would kill you."

She tried to remind him, but from the way he was staring up at her, she knew that he had no idea what she was talking about.

"And I hope that the fact that we're engaged to be married will be enough to spare your life."

Stevie watched as the expression on his face changed from confusion, to wonder. And then to the question if he really had understood what she had told him.

"Are you?"

"Yes."

"Really?"

"I'm pregnant, Lindsey." She laughed.

"You're absolutely sure?"

"Yes. I am sure." Stevie nodded. "I'm having your baby."

"I don't believe it."

She leaned in to kiss him. From the look in his eyes she knew that despite all doubt and surprise he was happy. Stevie didn't need to hear him say so. She knew he was. One look into his eyes, just as the way how he had drawn her closer to him, were enough for her to know. Lindsey was just as happy as she was.

"You can believe me." She whispered softly to him.

"How long?"

He was still stunned, but slowly the news got through to him.

"Two months. I wanted to tell you on Christmas, but I felt as if I would bust if I couldn't finally tell someone."

"You didn't tell anyone?" He was even more surprised at this.

"I wanted you to be the first to know. Not even my parents know so far."

"I can't believe this, even less." Lindsey muttered.

"But what do you say?" She needed to be reassured now. "You're happy?"

"More than you'd think." He kissed her. "I love you."

"I love you, too."

Stevie smiled. After feeling as if the previous year had been the worst of her this, this, so far had been the best. And she was looking forward to what was still to come.