24:

I assumed everyone would take time to fully mourn the loss of Gufo. I thought that they'd take the time to repair and recollect, however I'm wrong. Instead everyone has found a sudden and seemingly unquenchable desire for blood, for taking one of the De Luca brothers from us.

I also thought Leone and I would have time for each other, but if anything Gufo's death has triggered a series of activities within the gang that's caused minimal sleep and a hectic atmosphere to erupt in HQ. People constantly rushing up and down the pristine white hallways, some with weaponry, others with paperwork. None of them with smiles. It feels different knowing he isn't here anymore, I didn't know him well but I knew of him. He was well loved and held a soft spot in everyone's hearts. Loss was inevitable but it was never going to be easy.

"We'll have two units, one strike team which will distract everyone and a second one and smaller one that will sneak in from the south away from any conflict. Their job is to infiltrate the OG HQ and seize control from within," days Leone, strategising with the blueprints of the mansion clipped on a board. "If we find the sisters we shall leave one alive for questioning about their intentions, the tougher one is believed to be the gang leader."

"Yet we don't know that for certain," I butt in. "It wouldn't make sense for her to be the leader since she personally attacked us herself in the mansion. A real leader would fall back since they're too important for those sorts of missions."

"However we haven't seen any other potential gang leader," Toro adds.

Silence.

"Maybe they're trying to hide," I state. "Maybe they don't want to be found out yet."

"Why?" Questions Chloe, her voice corse and strained.

"Perhaps they're hiding something, maybe they're waiting for the right time."

"Angelo we're in a war, not a mystery novel," Leone reprimands.

"I'm just saying not everything adds up and we shouldn't assume," I counteract. "Assuming is like shooting blindfolded. You might not be hitting the right places."

"Fine, we'll not 'assume' she's the leader then," he mutters.

"Good," I nod.

"So the squadron sneaking into the mansions from out back will consist of the following," Leone continues to list ten names, none of which involving me. "Toro, I trust you to pick the larger group to attack and pose a distraction yes?"

"I've already come up with a list of my finest, including those who will remain here, also some who will hang back."

"Good."

"Leone, can I talk to you for a minute please?" I ask harshly, my temper slowly rising. "Alone."

Leone nods for everyone to leave the room, standing their stiff with his hands roughly in his pockets. The door clicks shut and he looks at me with a raised brow.

"I thought we agreed that you wouldn't protect me," I grumble.

"I did."

I sigh in exasperation, "Then why haven't you put me in the infiltration mission?"

"You have a different, top secret job," he replies coolly sitting back into his black leather chair.

I look at him in surprise, "Oh."

"Exactly. You and I will be taking a different way in to attack. We will be searching for intel."

"Y-you too?"

"Yes, got a problem?"

"In fact I really do," I respond. "We can't have our gang leader in the centre of the battle."